Author Topic: Ellis and Catherine Jones of Ederyn, Morfa Nefyn and Portdinllaen  (Read 5858 times)

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellis and Catherine Jones of Ederyn, Morfa Nefyn and Portdinllaen
« on: Sunday 24 November 13 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I have successfully located my great great grandparents in various records, but have run into some very stubborn roadblocks.  I am always on the lookout for others who may share a lineage with this family, or can somehow add to my knowledge.  Here is what I have to date:

My great, great gradfather, Ellis Jones, was born about 1823, based on the age of 28, as reported in the 1851 census, which further recorded his birthplace as Ederyn.  His father was named David Jones.  He was a mariner.

On 21 June 1846 he married Catherine Prichard (also known as Catherine Roberts via patronymics).  Catherine would've been born about 1826, based on the age of 25, as reported in the 1851 census, which further recorded her birthplace as Bryncroes.  Her father was Robert Prichard, hence the patronymic "Roberts."  Robert was a tailor.

The couple lived in several abodes within an area encompassing Ederyn, Morfa Nefyn and Portdinllaen.  At one point, Ellis worked as an agricultural laborer on Port Dinllaen Farm.  He later became a mariner, like his father.

The couple had four children that I know of:

Jane Jones - Baptized 25 October 1846.  Jane was reportedly born in Bryncroes.

David Jones - Baptized 7 January 1849.  David was reportedly born in Nefyn.

Ellen or Ellinor Jones - Baptized 15 December 1850.  Ellen was reportedly born in Ederyn.

Robert Jones (my great grandfather) - Baptized 27 March 1853.  Robert was reportedly born in Nefyn.

It would appear that Ellis died somewhere between 1853-1861 as Catherine, with children in toe, was recorded in the 1861 census as being a widow.  There had been some thought in the family that Ellis may have been killed at sea, however a check of mariner deaths does not produce an Ellis Jones as dying within this necessary time frame.

I lose track of everyone after that,until my great grandfather Robert surfaces again in 1876, when he married my great grandmother, Mary Williams.  The couple had at least 12 children, most reportedly while living in Clynnog.  Strangely enough, though I know of the years of their birth, I cannot locate even one of the children in the Clynnog parish baptismal records.  I cannot figure that out. 

I know my grandfather Samuel Jones was born on 29 July 1901 and was baptized beside his mother's coffin in August 1901, as she died following his birth.  Yet, none of these records appear in the Clynnog parish deaths or baptisms.  The family's abode was even given on the records I have as Foel Isa or Foel Ina in Clynnog-Fawr, where Robert Jones spent years as a slate quarryman. 

This website has been an excellent resource for my Welsh ancestors in the past.  I hope it will be so again.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Steve Jones
Racine, Wisconsin, USA

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ellis and Catherine Jones of Ederyn, Morfa Nefyn and Portdinllaen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 13 05:09 GMT (UK) »
I have come by some new information which previously I'd overlooked due to what I'm sure are errors with it, however it is definitely connected to my Ellis.

I found this in the Welsh Mariners index website.  While it sheds light it also raises questions, as I do not know how to interpret all the abbreviations, nor do I understand some of the terminology:

JONES    Ellis    [Nefyn]    1816        18/12/62            CAE   
[Ellis Jones, late of Bwlch Bridin, Nevin parish, retired master mariner, died 18 December 1862 at Bwlch Bridin. Admon 30 ? 1865 to Jane Jones of Bwlch Bridin, widow, the relict, (NPC)]. [MI at Mynwent Gyhoeddus, Nefyn, CAE: Capt Ellis Jones, o Bwlch, Porthdynllaen, marwodd 18 Rhagfyr 1862 yn 46. Hefyd Jane ei wraig, marwodd 27 Mawrth 1887 yn 78].

The family was living at Bwlch Bridin in Nevin during the 1861 census, and Catherine, Ellis' wife, was already identified as a widow at that time, so how could they say that Ellis died on the 18 December 1862?  Also, it would seem to suggest that Jane was Ellis' wife.  Her name was Catherine in all my records.  Perhaps Jane was a middle name or a nickname she preferred?  The couple's oldest child was named Jane Jones.

I guess I'm hoping someone with an understanding of these mariner records could interpret this all for me?

I guess

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 November 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The information matches the details in the Probate Calendar, Letters of Administration were granted 30th September 1865. There is a death registration that is a possible match to the Probate entry.
Ellis Jones, December Qtr 1862, Pwllheli Registration District, Vol 11b Page 324

A quick look shows several Ellis Jones deaths in the Pwllheli Registration District in the 1850s. It is quite possible that this is a different Ellis Jones who was also a Master Mariner. A check of the UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927 shows three different Ellis Jones born Nevin Caernarvonshire, one in 1810, one in 1814 and one in 1817.

Andy

Offline 9122john

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 15 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm not sure if it's the same Ellis Jones but there is a picture of a Captain Ellis Jones at Nefyn Maritime Museum
It says he taught navigation in a building which I own in Nefyn called Clwb Mawr. I'm about to renovate this property and I have recently stumbled on the history of the builing and was just looking what I could find on the Internet. I have tried to attach a photograph I took at the museum but the file is too big to post on here.
Hope this helps
Kind regards, John Paul Jones.