Author Topic: Elvy Family  (Read 9732 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elvy Family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:40 GMT (UK) »
1875 Sands Sydney Directory

Elvy & Co. (Elvy. R. H.) music wharehouse, 321 George St; stores, Wynyard Lane.
Elvy Robert H. (Elvy & Co) Elizabeth Bay Villas, 36 MacLeay St.
Elvy Filmer, 36 MacLeay St.

Filmer William ELVY who died in 1933 was aged 70 years ie born c1863 so doubt he would be in the 1875 Sands Directory.  Are there two Filmer ELVY's?

I cannot find a birth c1863 in NSW for Filmer.  Possibly mistranscribed or my poor searching skills using wildcards.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I might have found the death in BDM for Robert Snr, also his parents. His father was Filmer J. and his mother was Jane. Now that's going to get confusing.....

Harold son of Robert son of Filmer, son of Robert, son of Filmer :S
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:44 GMT (UK) »
From NSW BDM

Ivy T ELVY married Richard L  EVE in 1911 in Petersham reg 10394

Death
  Ivy Tottie EVE died 1971 father Filmer William and mother Margaret at Manly reg 52586

There is a death ref on ryerson http://ryersonindex.net/search.php for Ivy Tottie EVE which I will type up for you.
  Interestingly there is a death Ivy Filmer EVE  (see WHITE) in 2000 on ryerson too.

SMH 23 June 1971

EVE Ivy Tottie - June 20 1971 at hospital, of Manly dearly loved wife of the late Richard Leslie EVE, loved mother of Filmer (Mrs G White), J and P, mother-in-law of G F and N and fond grandmother and Great grandmother of their children.  In her 84th year.

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Would just like to say thanks for all the info and help so far. Really appreciated, never been real good with using Trove and totally forgot about using BDM for looking things up.

Thanks all

:)
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:47 GMT (UK) »
"Also Robert H. Elvy, a man of Kent, England,"

Marriage in Victoria
ELVY Robert Hammond born Kent
HARDY Eliza Louisa born Dorset
1873  Reg#2193

Cando

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Gee, they got around in those days didn't they

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 05:50 GMT (UK) »
So more confusion as Robert Hammond appears to have married in 1873 in Victoria.

Robert Hammond Elvy
born in 1899 in Sydney NSW
married Eliza Louisa
died

Cando

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 06:18 GMT (UK) »
OK I will try to type up one of Robert H Elvy's obits which I linked to earlier (to help others)

There passed away at his residence, 'Tregarth', Raglan-street, Manly, on February 23, at the age of 93 years, Mr. Robert Hammond Elvy, one of Sydney's oldest and most highly respected commercial men. Born in Kent, England, the late Mr. Elvy was attracted to Australia upwards of seventy years ago. He first settled in Victoria, and in 1855, with an enterprising associate, he established the firm of Wilkie and Elvy, whose successors to-day are the well-known firm of Allan and Co., of Melbourne. Crossing over to New South Wales, he established in Sydney a pianoforte and music warehouse in 1863, and the business he pioneered has flourished ever since, first at George-street and later at the present location, York-street.

The late Mr. Elvy — whose firm was patronised by many of our convents — was a great admirer of our Catholic institutions, and showed it  in a practical form on many occasions. A man of imposing physique, genial temperament, and generous disposition, the late Mr. Elvy was the patron of many
young students who subsequently made fame in the musical world. He was instrumental with the late W. S. Lyster in inducing great operatic artists and companies to visit Australia. It was only
about six weeks ago that he relinquished his active business connection. He is survived by three sons and two daughters, the eldest son carrying on the business. Four of his grandsons took part in the late war.

regards,
   Ros

adding : My problem is I can't see the births for the 3 sons and 2 daughters in NSW or Vic  ???
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Possibly born Sheerness, Kent to Filmer John ELVY and Jane NETTLETON.

The Argus  12 Apr 1858
AN ASSISTANT REQUIRED, in the MUSIC business. Must be of good address aud respectability. Apply by letter, stating references, to Mr. Elvy, 15 Collins-street.

The Argus
8 Jun 1859
Shipping Intelligence, Hobson’s Bay

ALARM from London……..2 cases, R. Elvy

ELVY Robert.
Gazetted  12 Nov 1861 Victoria Government Gazette  Pge#2186
Gazette item sub title heading: Private Advertisements

ELVY  R.
Gazetted
27 May 1864 Victoria Government Gazette Pge#1160:
Gazette item sub title heading: Letters detained at Dead Letter Office

ELVY Robert H.
Death 23 Dec 1923 at Sydney  Occupation Piano Warehouseman
Non-issued probates and administrations, Supreme Court of Victoria probate jurisdiction: units 1-70 (1851-1952)
Public Record Office Victoria: VPRS 7933/P1 Unit 40 File 2280.
Comment: Grant type: seal

I don't know if it's only me, BUT, once again I am having problems with the Wills etc Index on PROV.  The index has recently been extended to 2007 HOWEVER the files to 1928 which have been digitised no longer appear to have links from which they can be downloaded.  I tried phoning them but after holding for ages was simply told to phone later :o

I am having difficulty locating him on the 1841 census but he may be the Robert ELVE, a pupil at a Walmer School, Kent.

Cando