Author Topic: Andrew Allison and Agnes Smart marriage 1828  (Read 5328 times)

Offline robo1pa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Allison and Agnes Smart marriage 1828
« on: Wednesday 27 November 13 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for any information on a marriage between Andrew Allison and Agnes Smart in Aragask (?Arngask) circa 1828. Agnes was born circa 1809, I am not sure about Andrew. I cannot trace my family history past this, and I cannot find a marriage license. Andrew and Agnes eventually had 6 sons, 4 died in the American Civil War, 1 died of typhoid, and 1 (Andrew Jr) survived. Andrew and Agnes would be my great-great-great-great grandparents. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

-Rob Allison, Pennsylvania, United States

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Allison and Agnes Smart marriage 1828
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a possible banns or marriage entry showing on the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  This is for an Andrew ALISON and Agnes SMART in 1831 in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire.

You cannot tell until you look at the image whether it will be a banns reading or marriage unfortunately. Also, bear in mind that this is all before the start official registration in Scotland (from 1855) and entries in the Old Parish Registers (OPRs) often contain very little info, no more than names of bride and groom. But...sometimes a little more was included that can provide some clues.

What a sad story for Agnes, losing her four sons as she did http://schuylkillcountymilitaryhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2008_02_01_archive.html

Do you know the order of names of the children. Sometimes you can make some guesses on possible grandparents' names, if parents used any form of Scottish naming pattern (a brief general description here of how this could be used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?561).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Allison and Agnes Smart marriage 1828
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Ok, found them now I think in 1850 at East Norwegian, Schuykill, PA:

Agness Allison 37 b. Scotland
David Allison 21 b. Scotland
George Allison 19 b. Scotland
Andrew Allison 17 b. Scotland
James Allison 14 b. Pennsylvania
Alexander Allison 12 b. Pennsylvania
John Allison 9 b. Pennsylvania

Sure you have this entry Rob, but might help others looking with the use of the names for their sons (no daughters?). Husband Andrew had died by c.1845 from what I read?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk