Author Topic: 1911 Glossop, Parkfield House  (Read 6955 times)

Offline seekfam33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Glossop, Parkfield House
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
It's great to have names, thanks for the help.  Hopefully I can link the Dearnaley's to the Mrs Shepley mentioned in the Kelly's Directory in 1941.  I had a question mark against a name people were unsure about Shapely? and Glossop.  This is the link to the house name, I wonder if Mrs Shepley was a Dearnaly?  Off to check it out.  Thanks again Fred
A mis-spelling meant nothing came up, but Shepley is a different story.

The House "Parkfield" brought me here, and all I had was Alice ? born about 1912.  The name Shapely? had led nowhere, I wasn't even sure if it had anything to do with the Alice returning from India in 1946 to live in Cardiff with her family, but you've helped make sense of it.

So now although there may be no direct link to the Dearnaley family (yet)  in 1911 the Shapley family are there William, Alice, child Mary, and daughter Alice a few months from being born.  The cotton trade might be the reason daughter Alice (almost certainly) married in India.  I think it's likely her father moved to India to grow cotton for some company?

More to find but many thanks.

The family name is Shepley. The elder daughter, Mary, married a surgeon and lived in London. Alice was born and raised in Glossop, and lost her father in 1923 when she was 12. The India connection was her husband-to-be, Peter Alexander, who was working there for the Indian subsidiary of Lewis & Tyler, a Cardiff company manufacturing machine belts. Alice married him in India, and stayed there for the duration of the war, returning to Liverpool on 31 August 1946.