Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Where is Thomas Layton in Canada?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Where is Thomas Layton in Canada?
« on: Wednesday 27 November 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Here I am again, hoping for more help from the very helpful people on this site.    I had been told that Thomas Layton (1816) born in Mathon, Worcestershire, England (son of William Unett Layton and Ann) moved with his 3 other brothers to Canada in 1833.    People on this site have given me details of the Passenger List which shows William U Layton 29yrs, Elizabeth (his wife), Charlotte their daughter, Edward (sometimes this is written as Edwin) their son, and William's brothers Henry and John  -  but no mention of Thomas.
I understand he did move to Canada but can anyone find him on a Passenger List and on any census record and / or a marriage etc.   Many thanks.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Thomas Layton in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

There is a tree on A****try (which you know s/b treated with caution) that has Thomas b. 14 Apr 1816 in Bank Farm Mathon. Tree owner reports a marriage 09 Apr 1846 in Toronto to an Emma Farley and his death in 1853, also in Toronto. There are no children included in the tree, but see below.

1868 Toronto Directory has a Mrs Emma Layton (widow Thomas) living at 14 Emma.

There are at least 2 marriages in the records for Layton children with parents Thomas and Emma.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 November 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
As Polarbear said a death for Thomas in 1853 he married Emma Farley 9/4/1846 Toronto ..Son Thomas George Layton b 1850 he married a Maria Sophia Campbell 9/7/1880 York Canada ...There are a few other members of family on the 1861 census but some are hard to make out Harriet ???Sarah and ????

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 November 13 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for those replies on Thomas Layton.   I had not been able to find anything on him in Ancestry.com for Canada.

I get rather afraid of accepting FH information unless I feel somewhat certain it could be correct.  Difficult to ever be 100% certain of course, unless there are lots of confirmations from actual records.

I was surprised and not a bit horrified to be able to access information very easily when searching on various subject connected with my FT, to find a page from a website my sister had paid to have set up containing some of our family history and family trees.  This was a family tree typed up just in Microsoft Word using text boxes - and why I was a little horrified is because I cannot be sure how accurate that information is.   

Also my search picked up the very extensive family tree put online by sjkelsy, which looked to me to contain word-for-word my sister's text !   My sister put FH information onto her website because she had lost interest in FH by that point and she did have a tendency to write up FH information without checking her facts !

How was I able to find so easily such information - which is obviously open to anyone to find.    And not only that one sheet showing the Canadian connection, but all the others as well.
And that is how FH information gets passed on ... and on  .... and on....  even if incorrect !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 November 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
1861 census -- i think the other kids are George and John H

Here is the free image from the Library and Archives Canada site

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1861/jpg/4108509_00263.jpg

RK

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 November 13 18:16 GMT (UK) »
1861 census on Ancestry also Marriage for Thomas's son

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 November 13 05:41 GMT (UK) »
There are a few other members of family on the 1861 census but some are hard to make out Harriet ???Sarah and ????

The Sarah who is listed last isn't a family member according to the columns asking that question. Her name was Sarah Brown.

I have no idea what the name after George is either.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 November 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacque I found it very hard to read

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 November 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I think the name after George might be Unett which is a name rather frequently used in this family.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada