Author Topic: Anyone heard of "Herald" or "Harold" Berks?  (Read 11387 times)

Offline donnamarcus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard of "Herald" or "Harold" Berks?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 December 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
LizzieL – what a great catch! :D How’d you do that? In fact, William’s occupation changes from labourer to shepherd, from the first to second (folio 430) entry. He would claim shepherd again in 1861.

And thanks, everyone, for your help on this.

There are three leading theories at this point: (1) he’s from Aston Tirrold; (2) he’s from Harrow; and (3) he’s from Harrold, Beds.

To test the Aston Tirrold theory (thanks Supermoussi) I’ve taken a very close look at the letter “H” vs. “T” in each of the three censuses. I think the 1851 census may support this theory as the first letter looks more like the other “Ts” than the other “Hs” if one had to choose. However, the 1861 census is a closer call. I think it looks more like an “H”, but a case can be made it is a “T”. My main problem is the 1871 census where it is, without a doubt, an “H” and not a “T”. Also against this theory is the lack of William Stones being born in Aston Tirrold at the right time (whereas there are more than a few in Harrow and Harrold).

As for theory #2, I do not think he was from Harrow. Only one of four entries have this and it seems likely someone said “Harold” but this particular enumerator heard it as “Harrow.” 

So, in the end, I think it is most likely Harrold, Beds, despite the 1851 and 1871 censuses putting the parish in Bucks. The 1861 census just says “Harold” and includes what looks like a question mark – which gives me some comfort that I’m not the only one confused by this response.

Finally, as avm228 suggested, I have ordered the certificate from his second marriage, which will hopefully settle it.  I’ll post the result.

Offline donnamarcus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 December 13 03:38 GMT (UK) »
it is confirmed: it is Harrold, Bedfordshire. Thanks again everyone.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 December 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Great news that you have a definite answer on this one :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline spanna196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya!

I've just come across this thread.... re-looking at something I was stumped by 8 years ago! Still no wiser unfortunately but I do have some more info on William and Jemima if you need it? Jemima was a widow when she married William. She married John Blackwell in 5/1/1822 and had 3 girls, Mary, Eliza and Alice-all of who disappeared really. I did find one potential marriage but nothing concrete. Jemima (known as Mima) was a Baldwin by birth. She died very young 5/5/1844 of scirrhus (a tumour). My ancestor is Rebecca Stone, a daughter of William and Jemima. We think we have a picture of Rebecca... from a locket, it has been dated and fits with the dress etc.. of the time.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
it is confirmed: it is Harrold, Bedfordshire. Thanks again everyone.

How do you know it was Harrold Beds?

Your William's father was Francis Stone (from marriage cert). I guess he would be born about 1770ish. There is a burial for a Francis Stone in Harwell, Berks on 29 Oct 1841, his age was 70, making his birth around 1771. Harwell said in a local accent could easily become Harol and then acquire a "d".
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Fortunately this Francis died after the 1841 census. He is in Harwell, age 65, with Esther Stone age 65 and Richard Stone age 60. Francis and Esther are paupers, Richard is an Ag lab. No relationships listed, but the order of listing I would guess Francis and Esther might be husband and wife. Richard could possibly be a brother.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
No sign of Esther Stone in Harwell in 1851. There is a burial for an Esther Stone age 85 in Cumnor on 7 Nov 1853.

She matches with an Esther (born Cumnor) with her son John and his wife Martha and family. In 1841 John and Martha don't have Esther with them and there is no sign of Esther anywhere else in Cumnor.

Cumnor was mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

Maybe the Esther who was born in Cumnor was the widow of Francis and went to live with her son after her husband died. Maybe William was actually the one born in Cumnor mentioned earlier, but thought he was born in Harwell because his parents lived there.

Forget the last bit. Just seen the Cumnor William's parents were Richard and Elizabeth.

I've now found some baptisms in Cumnor for children of Richard and Hester, so possibly the group living in Harwell in 1841 was a widowed Francis with his brother Richard and Esther was Richard's wife.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
marriage at Cumnor Richard Stone married Esther Allen 13 Nov 1787. Seems a bit early but they could have married quite young. Is this the same couple with Francis in Harwell in 1841?

A Francis Stone married a Mary Tripp at East Hendred on 25 may 1795 - not that far from Harwell.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Freereg has a marriage for a Francis Stone widower to an Esther Thomas widow at harwell on 15 Oct 1804, so maybe the Esther with Francis in 1841 was his wife after all and no connection to the Cumnor family.