Author Topic: O.S. B. Gill  (Read 4006 times)

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O.S. B. Gill
« on: Friday 29 November 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Getting her late father's house ready for rent my wife recently found a treasure trove of family history items including a photo album which contains terrific photos taken by photo agencies in Dublin and Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, Newport, Wales, Newcastle and Sheffield, England, Douglas, IOM and Vienna, Austria. Sadly, only 2 photos had anything written on them to identify the subjects. One is the photo of a girl of maybe 8 or 9 years taken by Seaman & Co, Douglas, IOM. Written on the reverse is "O.S. B. Gill, Born Dec 23rd 1892".  Would some kind soul with knowledge of IOM resources be able to identify this girl from these details? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: O.S. B. Gill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 November 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
No match on the 1901 IOM census but they may have moved off the island

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 November 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
If she was born late December - her birth may not have been registered until after the New Year.  IOM births index only has an 1894 entry for  a Lucinda Olive Brooks Gill in Douglas - nothing in 1892 or 1893
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 November 13 22:25 GMT (UK) »
see www.manxnotebook.com/tourism/pgrphrs/pgrhrs.htm - you may be able to date by the photographer - this Seaman photo would appear to date 1900 or later
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 December 13 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your helpful responses. I believe the little girl in the photo must be Lucinda Olive Brooke Gill as suggested. In part, this is because my aging eyes have betrayed me and looking again at the back of the photo I see that the inscription actually refers to her as O.L.B. Gill rather than O.S. B. Gill. A Lucinda Olive Gill was included in the 1901 Irish census return of her grandmother, Margaret Snyers, aged 73 who was a widow. Also included was her mother, Lucinda Brooke Gill , a 45 year old widow. They were members of Church of Ireland. I'm curious as to how a photo album which features them ended up in my wife's family. The inscription on the inside cover states something like, "To Maggie, Christmas 1892, Love from Bridget". Perhaps Maggie was Margaret Snyers? The name and address of the photographic agency at the bottom of the photo is given as Seaman & Co, Douglas, Isle of Man & 75 Lime Street, LIVERPOOL. As the girl's appearance in the photo suggests that she was about 8 or 9 years old when it was taken and 75 Lime Street was included in the address it seems to chime with Frances's suggestion that it was taken at or after 1900. 

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 December 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I wish to correct the surname of Lucinda Gill's grandmother. It was Margaret Symes not Snyers. The latter is a transcription error in the NAI website.

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 December 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Olive Lucinda Gill or Lucinda Olive Gill may have been a daughter of Lucinda Bell nee Symes (c1854-1935) and John Frederick Gill (D. 15 Oct 1899), a Manx judge. Her mother appears to have been previously married to Thomas Arthur Bell, a Dublin stockbroker, who died on 28 oct 1888 according to the Calendar of Wills, NAI. Apparently, her mother was a member of the Dublin branch of the Society for Psychic Research for a period of time.