Author Topic: John Godsil ,Bandmaster.  (Read 10631 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Godsil ,Bandmaster.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
excellent thank you.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 December 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Got a reply Dathai, they are happy to post one for 7 euro, not sure if you are in Ireland or UK. If UK I can send for it and send it on if you are happy to exchange address's. PM me.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 08 December 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
From the Kildare Observer i have established using various different spellings of John seniors name that he may have been involved in the Edenderry Home Rule Society also found this on England and Wales census 1901
J Godsil age 18 born Ireland 1883,Residence, Institution ?Army ? Farnham,Aldershot,Surrey.
does any body know if this is referring to the army?

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 December 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Dathai. They are the returns for the 5th Bat. Royal Irish Regiment.
I can't see any records for him joining up with them but he later joins the Scots Guard in Glasgow. He says he is born in Kildare and parents names are John and Mary. Occupation is Shipwright. He married Julia Douglas in Port Glasgow in 1906 and has 3 children Archibold, John and Josephine.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 December 13 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hasta thank you very much for that,thats a great bit of info,thanks to Gaffy the scenario is unfolding like this Gaffy said John Godsil a Bandmaster son of Richard married Kate Condron 1882 in Carrick on Shannon and had one son John Richard Godsil in Lismore in1883, this morning i found a death in Youghal for a Catherine Godsil age 20 in 1884 which i will be purchasing to see if its Johns wife,if so John Junior possibly raised by Mary Conway/Cooney.

Hasta again begging your indulgence
Elizabeth Godsil married Timothy McDonnell in 1911 he had an older brother Daniel a van man
on the 1911 Census of Fennels lane Timothy is single and living with his Mother and a cousin? a Patrick Cleary age 21.
Agnes McDonnell their sister Married Alexander Cullen
CWGC shows Patrick [sargeant] Cleary died 5/4/ 1918 no 67251 gunner R F A , D BTY IO7 BDE nephew? of Mrs A Cullen 4 Masterton Lane ,Clarendon st,Calendar of wills  for same shows Daniel McDonnell as executor.
Trying to tie Patrick Cleary into the family,with your knowledge of the forces can you throw any light on this connection.
Regards Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 December 13 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Just back from G R O and its a yes yes yes.
Marriage in Carrick on Shannon catholic church District of Jamestown 23rd Nov 1882
John Godsil Bandmaster, Carrick on Shannon, son of Richard schoolmaster to
Kate Condron, housemaid,Carrick on Shannon,dtr of John Condron carpenter.
birth
1st Sep 1883 at West St ,Tullow,Waterford.
John Richard Godsil of John Godsil,Bandmaster and Catherine Condron.
Death
12th Oct 1884 Youghal ,Catherine Godsil age 20 married wife of John Godsil,Bandmaster, ,Gastricity?information received from Richard Rice, Coroner,Co Cork.Inquest held 14th Oct 1884.dated 21st Oct 1884.
so at this stage he has an 11 month old son to look after and his next known child Mary Kate is born in Kilkenny 1887.

Any one know the dates for the church records of the Jamestown District re the marriage to possibly get his mothers name.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 December 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Cant believe this Elizabeth Godsil's husband Timothy McDonnell killed on the Somme 9/9/1916.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 December 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I had a look for service records for Patrick Cleary and Timothy McDonnell but no luck I'm afraid, just their medal cards which don't have any more info on them. Found the will of Timothy McDonnell on the NAI
http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/McDonnellT_E370442.pdf
Mentions a J Godsil - Scots Guards and a ? Cleary RFA

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 December 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the service number of Scots Guard John Godsil who says he is born in Kildare.
(but may be the John Richard born in Waterford) It is 10869 which matches the note in Timothy McDonnell's will. He at least did survive the war.  :) When I was looking yesterday the family seemed to have relocated to Kent area as found death records of John, Julia and Archibold Godsil in the are but that's just a guess really without certs.