Author Topic: Peter Cunningham - 2 Christening Records on Family Search  (Read 3384 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Peter Cunningham - 2 Christening Records on Family Search
« on: Sunday 01 December 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've come across RC christening records for Peter (Petri) Cunningham, father Peter (Petrum) with mother Mariae McNiece, both taking place on 4 October 1825 in Roscommon.  I wonder if anyone can explain why there are 2 records, one giving the place of christening as Killukin, Roscommon whilst the other has Kilcooley, Roscommon.

They have the same Indexing Project (Batch) Number - C70168-1 and the same GS Film number -   989741.

From Google Maps I can see that Killukin and Kilcooley are quite close to one another, but wondered why there are 2 records.  Would one be where he resided whilst the other is the location of the church?

I'd very much appreciate your help.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cunningham - 2 Christening Records on Family Search
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 December 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »

If you do a sample search for baptisms 1810- 1830 for Killukin the return is 34,181 results and then repeat with Kilcooley the result again is 34,181 results. I do not believe they are separate baptisms but duplications at the LDS end

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Padraig3, I wonder where I should go from here.  Should I look for my family in Kilcooley or  Killukin?  Maybe someone with local knowledge will eventually pick up on this post and help.

your help much appreciated,  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 01:01 GMT (UK) »

The Kilcooley and Killukin references appear to be Civil Parishes rather than the actual Catholic Parishes. With Killukin there were two Civil Parishes , one covering parts of the Barony of Boyle and the other the Barony of Roscommon.
On the http://roscommon.rootsireland.ie/index.php site their is a baptismal record for a Peter Cunningham 1825 for the Catholic Parish of Croghan parents Peter Cunningham and Mary McNiece. Croghan Catholic Parish was the name attributed to the historic catholic parishes of Killukin & Killumod in the Barony of Boyle.

Hope this alternative record source will help clear up any confusion and the area to focus on being Boyle.