Author Topic: Harry Cecil Chapman  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Cecil Chapman
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Mother's names aren't mentioned on UK marriage certificates -father's names and occupations are and witnesses sometimes are family members

This looks like his probate record
Harry Cecil of Estcourt Weenan Natal died 17 mar 1902 Probate natal to Mary Ada Chapman widow Sealed London 8 Aug
Effects £2296 29s in England

Thanks very much.  I have ordered his estate file here in South Africa (still waiting for it), but did not realize that he would still have an estate in England.

I am trying to connect him to a George Frederick Chapman, a farmer in the Estcourt/Weenen district who was killed by the British during the Boer War.  He was acting as a guide for the British and was shot by mistake.  I have just found G F's grave and found Harry was buried right next to him, so am hoping that they could be brothers, as I know nothing about GF other than he married a g/aunt of mine.

Suz
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census image, I think the place of birth might be Pietermaritzburg, Natal, although it's been slightly mangled?

Rambler

I was about to post the same thing  ;)

I have not found anything here in South Africa to suggest he was born here - I know he studied in England and was there in the 1881 census as a boarder at St. Marylebone, Middlesex as a medical student.  However I have not seen the original census, so it is something else to investigate!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
1891   215/17/28

Henry Chapman. 28 yrs Physician b South Africa
Mary chapman 26 yrs b Liverpool

Are boarders at Morleys Hotel, St Martin in the fields

Possibly a honeymoon?

Thanks very much. This seems to bear out a previous post about him being born in South Africa.  Will have to go through all the scans for Natal again in the hopes of finding him.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There are baptisms for these children:

Mary Dorothy born 3/1/1892 Baptised 9/4/1892
Max Alan b 15/5/1893 bap. 24/7/1893
Norah 13/3/1896 bap 24/5/1896

Heywood

Thanks a lot - really gives me something to work on as they would have come out here with Harry and Mary.  Sad that their dad died when they were still so young.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 December 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch gives a marriage for a William Chapman in Pietermaritzburg, Natal.  It is in 1886 but maybe a family member
Chris

Thanks. Unfortunately there seem to be a number of Chapman's who came out to Natal at some stage, and they all seemed to settle in the Estcourt/Weenen/Mooi River/Pietermaritzburg area.  Most seem to have been farmers, but it is proving to be difficult trying to match them up to my side of the family.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 December 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census image, I think the place of birth might be Pietermaritzburg, Natal, although it's been slightly mangled?

Rambler

I was about to post the same thing  ;)

You guys are fantastic  :)  I have just been going through the scans of one of the many Church of England in Pietermaritzburg records and have found him!  This also includes his mother as being Georgina Emily which matches up with my George Frederick!  Interestingly both GF and his sister were born in England, so I had just assumed that Harry was as well!  William was a bank manager for the Colonial Bank so obviously travelled around.

Hope you all have a fantastic Christmas and that the missing bits in your family trees work out as well as mine just has.  :-*
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 December 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
That's great news   :) :) :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philip Chapman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Harry Cecil Chapman birth certificate Pietermaritzburg, Natal July 1, 1862 shows father William Chapman (native of London) and mother Georgina Emily Chapman born Hargreaves. Native of Liverpool, born August 1862.

I would be interested in any information about Harry and his wife Mary Ada's 3 daughters, Norah, Mary Dorothy and Jean. Norah married Cecil Harold Eden, Jean married a Mr. Horne or Horn and Mary Dorothy did not marry (fiance killed in WW I). I have no further information as to family, residences, or deaths of any of them.

I am a stepgrandson of Max Alan Chapman, the only son of Harry Cecil. I have recently received some old Chapman family papers from my stepfather and would be pleased to share more information with any interested relatives.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 April 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip
I am going to send you a private message with my contact details and we can compare notes.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods