Author Topic: O'Kane family Formil, Glenullin  (Read 17205 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Kane family Formil, Glenullin
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:14 GMT (UK) »
No census was taken in 1921, because of the War of Independence. The first census of the Irish Free State was taken in 1926 butunfortunately it won't be released until 2027.

Bad news for Northern Ireland counties, I'm afraid- "The official records of the first census carried out in Northern Ireland, in 1926, no longer exist."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22848416

and in case you were hoping for a 1931 census- "A census in Northern Ireland had been taken in April 1926 so no census was taken there in 1931."
http://www.1911census.org.uk/1931.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline agnesK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for all your help. I will just have to keep trying and hope somebody picks up on this and can tell us a little of michaels life in Ireland. agnes

Offline OKane_Roise

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 January 15 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Matilda O'Kane - born in "Flanders".

Hope this is of some help, in relation to a sense of place. Matilda O'Kane, here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000615163/ is listed as being born ("Where Born") in "Flanders". Flanders is a townland approximately 2 and a half miles outside Dungiven, in the direction of Drum and Gortnaghey, and it's exact location is between; the Ballyguddin Road (locally known as the 'Moss Road'), the Drumrane Road, and the Altmover Road. It is the same small townland where the highly historically significant "Dungiven Costume" was found - more about this at: http://www.limavadyancestry.com/a-short-history-of-limavady-borough/limavady-in-the-1600s/ . Please see the Google Maps link to the location of the townland of Flanders, Dungiven, County Derry:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Flanders+Rd,+Londonderry,+Limavady+BT47/@54.9403118,-6.9437128,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4860132b9acd8977:0xbfb0eeaa3acef511

Hope this information is of some value and not a distraction, for anyone not living in County Derry.

Offline BiotiteMica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Daniel O'Kane and Martha Doherty are my 2nd great grandparents. I was wondering if anyone has any information on Martha Doherty's family?

Also, is the actor Mark Gatiss' O'Kane/O'Mullan family line connected to Daniel O'Kane, King of Formil in some way?

Regards,
BiotiteMica

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamish,

Since your 2nd great grandfather was Daniel the King of Formil, then you and I are distantly related.
Martha Doherty was born 15/10/1883 in  Flanders ,Dungiven
Her father was Michael Doherty his mother was Mary Bradley .
Michael 35 and Mary 27 were married on 25-Oct-1874   in Dungiven parish.
Micheal's father was Edward...his address: Flanders
Mary's father was James ...address: Ballymacallion

Your O'Kane/O'Mullan question.
Margaret O'Mullan was my grandmother. Her mother was Elizabeth "Dunany" O'Kane. (Dunany was this branch of O'Kane's nickname to distinguish them from the other O'Kanes in the area)
Elizabeth was a younger sister of Patrick O'Kane,father of Daniel the King...so Margaret and Daniel  were 1st cousins.

O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline BiotiteMica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.

I think I messaged you, and I did mention how I belong in this line in a separate post, but thought I'd add it here too.

Daniel King of Formil and Martha Doherty's daughter, Mary, is my great-grandmother. She came to New Zealand aboard the ship "Ionic" in 1929/30, arriving in Auckland, and not soon after came down to Wellington. Here she married Darby Greally, who was from Claregalway Co. Galway. He came a few years earlier in 1927 aboard the ship "Tainui" direct to Wellington.

Darby Greally and Mary O'Kane had 4 children, Martha, Mary, Daniel, and Dermott. Mary Greally is my Nana. Darby and Mary are buried at Whenua Tapu Cemetery in Pukerua Bay, northern Wellington.

Attached is a portrait of Mary O'Kane, daughter of Daniel King Of Formil, and Martha Doherty.

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
That's a great picture Hamish.
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline BiotiteMica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
It's a rather big one - I had to link it to the web address where it's held on my ancestry.com file on her.

This has been fantastic. I don't watch much TV (at least not national/cable TV - mainly online instead) and I was at a family members funeral (Mary's son, Daniel) just a fortnight ago, and Nana was telling me how the "Who do you think you are" episode was airing, and she couldn't believe they were talking about "her O'Kanes and Mullans in the same area!". Luckily, in terms of finding out about ancestry on her Greally and O'Kane sides, she said her mother Mary was always fond of talking about Ireland. Darby, on the other hand, did not speak much as he was a volunteer/ Old IRA member and it pained him to look back. So it seems he must have talked a bit to Mary, for her to then relay his stories to her children.

This has been wonderful to add to my family history records, thank you :)