Author Topic: Green families farming in the Bolnhurst area. Were they related?  (Read 27038 times)

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Green families farming in the Bolnhurst area. Were they related?
« on: Wednesday 04 December 13 08:55 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census, Green families were tenant farmers at Crowhill Farm (177 acres), Greensbury Farm (300 acres) and Backnoe End (256 acres) while Mavorn Farm (180 acres) was run by the Hartop family which included an Anna Green aged 85.

My g.g.g.grandfather, John Green, was the tenant farmer at Crowhill Farm 1822-1841. I am trying to work out if some or all of the farming families were related, or if it was just coincidence.

The 1841 census shows the occupants of Crowhill Farm were (Y= born in Bedfordshire, N= not so)
* Green Ann      50, Farmer N
* Green William  22, Farmer Y
* Green Samuel   20,        Y
* Green Benjamin 19,        Y
* Green Anna     10,        Y
* Marritt Ann    84, Ind.   N

In 1839, John Green of Bolnhurst, of Crow Hill farm, was indicted as responsible for repair of highway from Thurleigh to Church lane, Bolhnurst, now in decay.
[Bedford Archives Reference WG2985 1839-40]. So Ann's husband was John Green.

A likely marriage is between John Green and Ann Marriott on 19 May 1818, in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire. In the 1841 census an Ann Marritt aged 84 was staying at Crow Hill - one explanation is that she was the mother of Ann Green; they would have been 29-30 at the time; the ages of the children fit. Alas, no parents' names.

John Green's death certificate shows he died on 4 March 1841 at Bolnhurst, occupation farmer, aged 51 years.

A birth that fits with this is:
John Green, born 28 July 1789 in Bedford, Bedfordshire, christening 28 August 1789 at HOWARD CHAPEL MILL STREET FORMERLY THE NEW MEETING BEDFORD-INDEPENDENT,BEDFORD,ENGLAND
father William Green, mother Mary Green. Unfortunately no birth places or ages recorded for parents.

William Green marriage: 10 July 1788 at Saint Mary, Bedford, Bedford, England; spouse Mary Read.
This fits the time line nicely but it is perhaps odd that the marriage is in a church but JG is baptised in a chapel?

This is where the problems start.
Have I got the right William/Mary couple, even the right John Green?
And which William and Mary are they? There are 'eligible' Williams baptised in St Mary Bedford (1759 and 1762), Houghton Conquest (1762) and Hawnes (1765), not to mention Ampthill, Harrold and Turvey, and Marys from Bletsoe (1758), St Mary Bedford (1768) and other, more distant places.

So I have plenty of homework. I have posted this rather prematurely to stop it running on gwynd's thread titled: Greens, America Place S. Leighton Buzzard.
I suspect I will only be able to sort out my own tree by tracing all these farmers backwards (maybe to a common ancestor? That would be good!)

------------------
Meanwhile, what I (think I) know so far about the other farms is as follows:

Greensbury 1841 census
* Chapman Elizth  40, Farmer N
* Green William   17, Farmer N
* Green Thomas    16,        Y

Bornhurst parish burials shows: 30 August 1840, CHAPMAN Thomas, Greensbury, age 39, so born about 1801. Can we assume this was Elizth's second marriage and William, Thomas by her first?

We have a Green/Chapman marriage on Ancestry.com.au: Elizabeth Green marriage: 4 July 1829 at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England, spouse: Thomas Chapman. But no little Chapmans!

and we have a William Green - Elizabeth Harris marriage on Ancestry.com.au: William Green marriage: 26 February 1824 at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England, spouse: Elizabeth Harris (which just about accommodates the William and Thomas births).

I haven't found a William Green burial 1825 - 1829 yet, or tried to move back into the 1700's.

Backnoe End Farm 1841 census (omitting servants)
* Green Samuel    40, Farmer Y
* Green Sophia    39,        N
* Green William   12,        Y
* Green Samuel     6,        Y
* Green Rebecca    1,        Y

work in progress.

Mavorn Farm
* Hartop Anna     55, Farmer Y
* Hartop Benjamin 30, Farmer Y
* Hartop Samuel   25,        Y
* Hartop John     25,        Y
* Hartop Thomas   15,        Y
* Hartop Josiah   15,        Y
* Howkins William  4,        Y
* Green Anna      85, Ind    N

16 September 1807, marriage at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England between Jn Hartop and Ann Green.

11 Jul 1808 William Hartop Birth, Birthplace: Keysoe Row, Keysoe, Bedfordshire, Father John Hartop, Mother Anna Hartop.

03 Feb 1810 Benjamin Hartop Birth, Birthplace: Keysoe Row, Keysoe, Bedfordshire, Father John Hartop, Mother Anna Hartop.

10 Apr 1812 Samuel Hartop Birth, Birthplace: Keysoe Row, Keysoe, Bedfordshire, Father John Hartop, Mother Anna Hartop.

10 Jul 1814 John Hartop Birth, Birthplace: Keysoe Row, Keysoe, Bedfordshire, Father John Hartop, Mother Anna Hartop.

09 Aug 1790 Ann Green birth, christened 24 Sep 1790 at HOWARD CHAPEL MILL STREET FORMERLY THE NEW MEETINBEDFORD-INDEPENDENT,BEDFORD,ENGLAND Father William Green, mother Mary. This doesn't match the census, means she married at 17 and doesn't match Anna Green 85 being her mother.

30 Jun 1786 Anne Green christened at CLOPHILL,BEDFORD,ENGLAND, mother Elizabeth Peacock Or Paycock.
This doesn't look right either so work in progress, and I haven't found John Hartop birth.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Green families farming in the Bolnhurst area. Were they related?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
A lot of ground is covered here so I'll look at it piecemeal

A birth that fits with this is:
John Green, born 28 July 1789 in Bedford, Bedfordshire, christening 28 August 1789 at HOWARD CHAPEL MILL STREET FORMERLY THE NEW MEETING BEDFORD-INDEPENDENT,BEDFORD,ENGLAND
father William Green, mother Mary Green. Unfortunately no birth places or ages recorded for parents.

You'll be lucky! This sort of information has never been shown on English births or baptisms.

William Green marriage: 10 July 1788 at Saint Mary, Bedford, Bedford, England; spouse Mary Read.
This fits the time line nicely but it is perhaps odd that the marriage is in a church but JG is baptised in a chapel?
Not odd! Before 1837 the only places where marriages could be performed legally were the Church of England, and churches of the quakers and jews. Other non conformist churches/chapels simply were not allowed to perform marriages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »

A likely marriage is between John Green and Ann Marriott on 19 May 1818, in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire. In the 1841 census an Ann Marritt aged 84 was staying at Crow Hill - one explanation is that she was the mother of Ann Green; they would have been 29-30 at the time; the ages of the children fit. Alas, no parents' names.

This would tie in with Ann Marriotts place of birth shown in 1851 census  :)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N8GX-YW5

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bedfordshire boy. Your historical comments are very useful to someone like me who is new to these resources.

And thank you rosie99. Yes, Great Gransden and Gamlingay are adjacent parishes so it all ties together.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
From the Admon of John Green, farmer of Bolnhurst who was buried there on 10 Mar 1841 aged 51; Ann Green & William Loxley of Clapham & Samuel Green farmer of Bolnhurst swore on oath that she, Ann Green was widow & next of kin to John Green & the estate was worth not more than £600. This was granted 19 Mar 1842. 

I found the Bolnhurst burial on 8 Dec 1870 of Ann Green aged 80 whose abode was Keysoe. 
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 December 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
From the Admon of William Green farmer of Bolnhurst dated 8 Dec 1827 (haven't found his burial yet?); Elizabeth Green, widow & John Hartop farmer of Bolnhurst & Samuel Green farmer of Bolnhurst swore on oath that she, Elizabeth Green was widow & next of kin of William Green and estate was not more than £1500   

The National Archives also has will of another William Green, farmer of Bolnhurst dated Dec 1818.
You can download it for £3.36 GBP
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D227592
Clement - Croydon

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 13 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating stuff. Thank you johnP. William Loxley is a surprise. In the 1841 census he is a farmer at Rookery Farm, Clapham, Beds. Perhaps his wife Mary is Ann's younger sister? Interestingly, there are several Loxleys in Colmworth.

> I found the Bolnhurst burial on 8 Dec 1870 of Ann Green aged 80 whose abode was Keysoe.

This fits neatly with a christening record for Ann:
14 dec 1789 Ann Marratt christened at Great Gransden, Huntingdonshire, father James Marratt, mother Ann.
and also promising are:
09 Oct 1785 marriage James Marritt of Great Gransden, & Ann Giddings "Otp", lic. at St Peter Church, Boxworth, witnesses Benjamin BEAUMONT and Sarah BEAUMONT.
30 Apr 1758 baptism GIDDONS Ann, St Peter Church, Boxworth, Cambridgeshire, father Robert, mother [BLANK]
and just possibly, although Yaxley is rather remote from Great Gransden,
31 Jul 1762 baptism James MARRIOT at St. Peter Pr Church, Yaxley, Huntingdonshire, father MARRIOT.

William: I cannot find the burial on FreeReg or Ancestry or Family Search (assuming I am putting in the right search parameters)

Could I ask: what does ADMON mean. I have never seen the word used before. And do these Admon have much information about the actual possessions comprising the estate or are they just a summary? I would like to get a feel for how people were living in those days. Would I be right in thinking that £1500 or even £600 was a lot of money back then?

And is "Otp" "Of this parish"?
Thanks
David

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 December 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Letters of Administration or Admons were usually issued only if property was over £5 in value and enabled family members to dispose of the estate in the absence of a will. The administrator of the estate drew up a probate account which detailed the assets and the benefactors of the estate. Admons contain little of genealogical value, however they may name several family members and occasionally contain detailed information of considerable value. They will usually be found in the administration act book or the probate act book and can now be found in County Record Offices.

taken from http://www.genguide.co.uk/

Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 December 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Greensbury 1841 census
* Chapman Elizth  40, Farmer N
* Green William   17, Farmer N
* Green Thomas    16,        Y

Bornhurst parish burials shows: 30 August 1840, CHAPMAN Thomas, Greensbury, age 39, so born about 1801. Can we assume this was Elizth's second marriage and William, Thomas by her first?
We have a Green/Chapman marriage on Ancestry.com.au: Elizabeth Green marriage: 4 July 1829 at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England, spouse: Thomas Chapman. But no little Chapmans!
and we have a William Green - Elizabeth Harris marriage on Ancestry.com.au: William Green marriage: 26 February 1824 at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England, spouse: Elizabeth Harris (which just about accommodates the William and Thomas births).

I haven't found a William Green burial 1825 - 1829 yet, or tried to move back into the 1700's.

I agree with this; Elizabeth Green widow of William Green (died 1827) married Thomas Chapman in 1829 & he was buried there in Aug 1840. BLARS have the will of Thomas Chapman farmer of Bolnhurst ref 1841/1. The 2 children of William & Elizabeth Green; William 1824 & Thomas 1825 were farmers at Greensbury on 1851 census. Widow Elizabeth Chapman is found living in Bedford on 1851,61,71,81 censuses being born Ramsey, Hunts in 1796. She died in Mar 1882 age 86 in Bedford RD. I noticed a baptism of a Chapman Green at Bolnhurst on 30/3/1877 to parents Thomas & Ann Green of Bushmead, Eaton Socon. A possible burial of William Green is on 5 Aug 1827 at Bedford St Peter age 26 so born 1801. Next time I'm at the Archives I will take a look at all this plus the Bolnhurst marriage on 4 Jul 1829 of William Green to Elizabeth Harris to see if says what parish she was from.
Clement - Croydon