Author Topic: Green families farming in the Bolnhurst area. Were they related?  (Read 27039 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Green families farming in the Bolnhurst area. Were they related?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 December 13 16:44 GMT (UK) »
1841 Mavorn Farm
* Hartop Anna     55, Farmer Y (+or-5 born about 1786)

16 September 1807, marriage at Bolnhurst, Bedford, England between Jn Hartop and Ann Green.

09 Aug 1790 Ann Green birth, christened 24 Sep 1790 at HOWARD CHAPEL MILL STREET FORMERLY THE NEW MEETING BEDFORD-INDEPENDENT,BEDFORD,ENGLAND Father William Green, mother Mary. This doesn't match the census, means she married at 17 and doesn't match Anna Green 85 being her mother.

I am away at the moment but have just seen your post re the Green family.
Part of my tree ‘brushes’ the Hartop family so I had this information which I hope may help.

When John and Anna Hartops children’s births’ were registered at Dr Williams Library, Redcross Str, Cripplegate, London as children of Protestant Dissenters, their mothers name was given as Anna Green daughter of William and Ann Green;
Witness present at whole of the birth;
Hannah George and Kezia Robinson (midwifes perhaps) who made their marks plus William Brown and John Reynolds witness to the marks of witnesses
For the birth of William also present was Thomas Peck, Surgeon

Their children were;
1.William Hartop of Keysoe Row Parish of Keysoe Beds birth reg 13 Apr 1815 born 11 Jul 1808.
2.Benjamin Hartop of Keysoe Row Parish of Keysoe Beds reg 13 Apr 1815 born 3 Feb 1810. Benjamin Hartop died 1851
3.Samuel Hartop of Keysoe Row Parish of Keysoe Beds reg 13 Apr 1815 born 10 Apr 1812
4.John Hartop of Keysoe Row Parish of Keysoe Beds reg 22 Oct 1816 born 10 Jul 1814
From the census John and Anna Hartop also had sons;
Thomas Hartop 1826 and Josiah Hartop 1826 Keysoe.

Later on the 1851 and 1861 census Ann Hartop (nee Green) says she was born 1783 at Thurleigh. If Ann Hartop was also NC (perhaps Baptist) then you may not find her baptism. I have had similar problems with NC

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 December 13 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Cannot see how the Bedford St Mary's marriage on 13 July 1788 of William Green to Mary Read is the same William Green of Bolnhurst. This was by licence and the transcript of this says William was aged 21+ and a Dyer of St Marys & Mary was a minor with consent of her father, who was John Read, painter of Bedford & he gave surety.

These parents most likely be responsible for John Green born 28/7/1789 baptised 28/8/1789 & Ann Green born 9/8/1790 baptised 24/9/1790 from the non-conformist registers available from Ancestry, where there abode was St Marys Bedford - not a mention of Bolnhurst. If they were baptising children then where's siblings William & Samuel ? 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 December 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I found the Bolnhurst buiral on 2 Apr 1837 of John Hartop abode Mavorn aged 64 - so born 1773, most likely son of Thomas & Sarah (ne Sabey). I also found the Bolnhurst burial of Ann Hartop abode Keysoe on 23 Feb 1863 aged 81 - so born 1782; which tallies with her 1851 & 1861 census entries born 1783. So we know this is Ann Green but she is NOT the daughter of William & Mary Green of St Mary's.

John Hartop, farmer of Mavorn left a will dated 24 Feb 1837 where he appoints his wife Anna & 'her brother' Samuel Green executors & administrators to allow them to use the estate 'until my youngest child shall reach age 21'. This was witnessed by Thomas Chapman of Bolnhurst who married the widow Elizabeth of their brother William Green. Will proved 9 Dec 1837 effects not more than £600   
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I William Green of Bolnhurst in the County of Bedford farmer ... devise unto my wife Anna Green
... and in case my said wife shall die in the life time of our Daughter Mary Bowker(?) who now lives with me then I give .......

How about ?  from the BFHS paper Bedfordshire Strays; William Green of Nether Dean married Ann Bowker, widow of Spaldwick, Hunts in 1781 
Clement - Croydon

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
The only male Bowker marriage to an Ann/Anna in Hunts was in 1774 at Easton, next door to Spaldwick; Samuel Bowker and Anna Bridgeford both otp. There's a burial of Samuel Bowker in 1777 at Alconbury cum Weston, 3 miles or so from Easton/Spaldwick, which may or may not be relevant. It needs reference to the parish registers to see if there's any other detail.

I can't see what happened to Mary Bowker though
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your replies. I can hardly keep up!

The rational for why I was sold on William Green and Mary Read being John's parents is this -

At Crowhill Farm on 6 jun 1841 the residents were:
* Green Ann      50, Farmer N
* Green William  22, Farmer Y
* Green Samuel   20,        Y
* Green Benjamin 19,        Y
* Green Anna     10,        Y
* Marritt Ann    84, Ind.   N

Court records name the missing husband as John Green, alive in 1839. So he died between 1839 and 6 jun 1841.

John Green's death certificate says farmer, died 4 mch 1841 at Bolnhurst, aged 51. So born March 1789 - March 1790.

28 July 1789 John Green born Bedford, Bedfordshire, father William Green, mother Mary Green - dovetails neatly.
 [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F77N-NZR]
and christened at HOWARD CHAPEL MILL STREET BEDFORD-INDEPENDENT,BEDFORD, on 28 Aug 1789.
 [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5VS-7YK]

So father William, mother Mary.

19 May 1818 this John Green marries Ann Marriott in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire, a parish adjacent to Great Gransden where Ann was christened 14 dec 1789.
Ann's mother is staying at Crowhill in 1841.

I don't see how this John can be William (of the will)'s son John unless William married twice.

Was another John Green born locally in the same year? Where did William (of the will) and all his children come from? I haven't been able to find this family grouping anywhere in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire.
David

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 13:04 GMT (UK) »
So we have William Green who wrote his will July 1813 & names 'my' daughter Anna who married John Hartop in Sept 1807; 'my' son John who marries Ann Marriott in May 1818; 'my' son William who marries Elizabeth Harris in Apr 1824; 'my' son Samuel who marries Sophia Lant of Gt Staughton in 1825. He then names 'our' daughter Mary Bowker (perhaps Bowyer?) 'who now lives with me' .... Is she a widow? Have you found a marriage of a Mary Green to a Mr Bowker? Or is she a spinster, perhaps daughter of William's second wife Anna? if indeed he was first married to Mary!

I think that should be Sophia Cant [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N6W2-7N5] which fits in with other connections with Backnoe Farm.

The script does look to be Bowker. If you wish to see I can email you pictures of the name.
There were a few Bowkers in Huntingdonshire, at Alconbury-Weston, Glatton and Yaxley, but none seems to have compelling relevance. No Bowkers that I could see in Cambridgeshire or Bedfordshire.

I also tried Booker, Baker and Barker and variants in case the clerk misheard the name. For what its worth, possibly relevant are

16 Jul 1798 marriage Wm BARKER and Ann SMITH at St. Swithin Church, Sandy, Bedfordshire
 [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=1619943]

21 Jul 1805 marriage Robert BAKER and Ann BATES at St Botolph Church Cambridge
 [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=394719]

24 Jan 1833 marriage Mary Booker and William Talbott at Aspley Guise,Bedford,England
 [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2LN-NNP]

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't see how this John can be William (of the will)'s son John unless William married twice.

Was another John Green born locally in the same year? Where did William (of the will) and all his children come from? I haven't been able to find this family grouping anywhere in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire or Huntingdonshire.

Ann Green who married John Hartop was born in Thurleigh (Blacknoe Farm was in Thurleigh Parish) but does not appear to have been baptised perhaps because the Green family were NC. IF she was John's sister then perhaps he also as not baptised. PERHAPS the family were in Bolnhurst earlier but not evident on the IGI because they did not belong to the established church??

As  I mentioned the Hartops 'brush' my baptist Sabey's (Baptists do not christen their children). John was the tenant of Blacknoe Farm which may have passed to his son William who did not have children and left his estate to the children of his sister Sarah who was probably the mother of John Hartop and Ann Green's mother in law.

Another avenue perhaps for you to consider is the name Howkins/Hawkins

In 1851 Ann Hartop 1783 Thurleigh is a widow and visitor a widow with Elizabeth Hartop aged 37 born 1814 Thurleigh a Farmer 181 acres Cross End Thurleigh ? children Elizabeth 1843, William 1844, Anna 1843 and her sister Lettie Howkins 1826 Thurleigh was EH ?widow of Benjamin ?Elizabeth Hawkins

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I had been wondering about the Howkins because

* in 1841 William Howkins age 4 was staying with the Hartop family at Mavourn Farm.

* in 1868 Annie Howkins Hartop (age 21, born 1847) married Frederick Jenkinson Wood in Thurleigh, Bedford, England, spouse's father Benjamin Hartop; and I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was common to use the bride's maiden name as the second forename for their children, so that some time before 1847 there was a Hartop/Howkins marriage.

The 1861 census includes Thomas Howkins, age 39, farmer at Bury Farm (of 620 acres employing 24 men and 6 boys). That is a big farm.

A Lellice(?) Howkins, widow aged 50, was head of the family there in 1841.