Author Topic: Onions family walsall  (Read 3820 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Onions family walsall
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 18 02:45 BST (UK) »
Two younger children.

Oliver and Harold. From GRO they are Oliver Joseph b 1904 and Harold Thomas b 1908
If you look for them in 1939 you find the whole family (Oliver has married but Harold is with parents ) with one redaction which I assume is your Norman.

Offline organicgardener

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me with my eldest son and two grandaughters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much ckha89M I didn't see those two on the 1939 I must have been looking at the wrong family as it was just mum and dad. I can see it now although I can see now why I was getting it wrong Elizabeth L is the mother and I was looking at Liza S- Eliza S as that was what she was in 1901 by 1911 she was Elizabeth L. The whole family have been a nightmare as 1851 they were down as Iunions and in 1861 as Amons I had to think about accents and realise "Eye me name be Ununons" would be how they answered the questions.
Challinor= Cheshire,   Onions- Walsall Staffordshire,   Cliffe/Cliff Warrington Eckersley- Salford, Heathcote Windsor, Palin Cheshire/ Beeston

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
I think L and S are a bit interchangeable in that loopy handwriting.

re pronunciation - I have Onians in my tree. We pronounce it Oh NYE Ans  not Unyuns!

Offline organicgardener

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me with my eldest son and two grandaughters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
I have some of the family that are O'Nions a bit like Bucket pronounced Bouquet !
Challinor= Cheshire,   Onions- Walsall Staffordshire,   Cliffe/Cliff Warrington Eckersley- Salford, Heathcote Windsor, Palin Cheshire/ Beeston