Author Topic: SCOTLAND  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SCOTLAND
« on: Saturday 18 June 05 15:40 BST (UK) »
 ::) Anybody out there seaching for Scotland family in and around liverpool around 1840??? Trying to find any info on james Scotland born c. 1820 (guess) married around 1840?? to Margaret Critchelly,(born Liverpool)  daughter Phoebe Scotland born August 1845 Liverpool.

They do not show on available census' for 1841 or 1851, nor can I find trace of them in 1861, only one phoebe and dont think she is mine.

Have Phoebe's birth cert, then her marriage to John Patrick Callaghan in Oct 1865, where both shown as being 21.

Have them on all other census' then up to my grandfather. ???
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTLAND
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
1861 Census RG9/2689.

Is this your Phoebe Scotland?

Phebe Scotland age 16 born Liverpool was working as a servant at the Bee Hotel.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am following the Scotland family from Midlothian, Scotland, who moved to London.  I have not found any connection to Liverpool, but the name is not that common.

Where do your Scotlands originate from?

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:44 BST (UK) »
 ??? Hi, That is my problem, cannot find any info.

Phoebe Scotland born Liverpool, to James Scotland and Margaret Critchelly, in 1845.

Cannot find trace of them in 1841/1851 census' and cannot find a marriage cert for liverpool.

There is a James Scotland, son of Alexander Scotland and Phoebe Saults, born in liverpool around 1820 ish, I am in contact with descendant of their other son William who had a Phoebe Scotland born in Dec 1844, but she has no idea where or what happended to James.

Will have to back track on my old messages to find out where abouts in Scotland they came from.

Seemed to be an influx of Scotlands into Liverpool around 1870, looking at the census. Otherwise prior to that they all seem to go back to Alexander and Phoebe who married in 1798 or 1800 ish.(In Liverpool)

Just have to rely on the IGI being input!!! Or save up and get to Liverpool office for a couple of days.

Good luck in your search, and will post where they came from when I find my info.
Keren ;D
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi sj, right if I am on the right track my Scotlands come from Alexander Scotland born in Borrowstouness, West lothian in 1785, his father was James born around 1732 Carriden Parish Linlithgow.

Not sure if the above are my Scotland family, but they are the main start of the Liverpool Scotlands shown on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census'.

Hope this is helpful.
Keren

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that. 

I have not been able to get further back than Robert Scotland and Margaret Patty who had son Peter Scotland in 1806 in Pitenween Fife. 

Peter Scotland then moved to St Cuthbert's Edinburgh, where he was a shoemaker.  My branch later move to London.

It doesn't look like our paths cross at this time, however you never know what may turn up next!

Good luck with the search.

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi sue,

see what you mean, if your lot are on the IGI then they are in their 60's when they have the kids.  found other son Christian born 28/08/1808 in pitenween fife, which I assume you already have.

I have given up on my lot for time being. Stuck on all of them, either irish immigrants, or just lost in the slums of Liverpool and Salford.

could start on my Bartons and smiths, but there are just so many of them to choose from! think it would be a nightmare to even start.

I will keep my eyes peeled for you lot.

Best luck Keren

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Hmm Christian is a girl, ! seems I have not read the words properly.

Have found Peter and family on 1841 census, off freecen, presume you have this as you tracing them from midlothian. they at 2 richmond lane cannongate.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 00:28 BST (UK) »
Here's another Scotland for you!

This lady is buried in Denny Cemetery, Stirlingshire (along with a few others!)

The following is the full inscription from the headstone:

"Erected by Isabella Graham in memory of her brother
RICHARD GRAHAM died December 3rd 1889 aged 40 years
ISABELLA SCOTLAND his wife died June 26th 1883 aged 31 years
LAUGHLIN GRAHAM died April 13th 1891 aged 73 years
EUPHEMIA SNEDDON his wife died October 19th 1901 aged 82 years
ELIZABETH GRAHAM died February 14th 1901 aged 8 months
MARGARET REID wife of Findlay Graham died May 16th 1902 aged 33 years"

There is one more Scotland in the same cemetery but much more recent, the inscription on that one reads:

"  In loving memory of WILLIAM SCOTLAND died 11th February 1974 aged 71 years
Beloved husband of Elizabeth Pollock"

Anne