Author Topic: NOLAN Nicholas Bray  (Read 6717 times)

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NOLAN Nicholas Bray
« on: Friday 06 December 13 01:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm really struggling with this and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I'm researching...

Nicholas Nolan B:1878 Bray
Father - Daniel Nolan B:c1840
Mother - Bridget Neil

I have him on the 1901 census as living in Bray No2 with other family members but would like his birth information.

There is a civil registration index entry on FamilySearch that matches the name and the birth year but the Event Place is Rathdown, which put me off but I've since discovered that other people born in Bray have their Event Place as Rathdown too.

I've tried Roots Ireland but their is no entry for him, could anyone with a wee bit more knowlage advise me where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance.
MACDONALD:- Glasgow and Ireland possibly Ballymena
McCORMACK - Glasgow and Ireland
DINNEEN -     Glasgow, London, Ramsgate, Suffolk, Co Kerry, Co Cork
NELSON and McLEAN - Ballymena Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NOLAN Nicholas Bray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 December 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Using the details from the online registration index (name, quarter/year, reg. dist., volume & page) you can order the birth certificate which will give you an exact date and place of birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 December 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, I've downloaded the form to order it.  I was hoping there was a way to buy it and view it online but I'll just have to work on my patience as well as my tree

Thanks for your reply :)

Offline madpat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Lottie - just a quick word to say that all births in Bray were registered in the registration district of Rathdown! A bunch of my ancestors come from Bray and all their events BMD were registered in Rathdown.
That said I think in about 1928 maybe a bit earlier there was a shift round in registration areas and from then on I think Bray came under Rathdrum. Some of South Dublin is then registered in Rathdown, Dublin South. My parents and family all born in Dublin 8 were registered in Rathdown.

Offline NNolan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Lottie, I think I may be related to your husband. My grandfather was Nicholas Nolan & my grandmother was Catherine Duffy her mother was Neil. They emigrated to Scotland after the 1901 census & settled in Glasgow. My father Jim was born over there along with 2 sisters - one was Bridget. Nicholas Nolan.

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicholas, thanks for getting in touch, it's very nice to "meet" you, my husband says hi :)

He is decended via Nicholas' eldest daughter Bridget 1906 - 1971 and her son James 1927 - 2002

We have Nicholas' son James 1908 - 1910 on our tree so I'm guessing they must have had another child James who we don't have and he would be your father?

I love when we find a connection :)  Are you in Glasgow too?

Offline NNolan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Nice to meet you too. No we (the Nolans) are from Bray. I'm living in Dublin since 2000. Yes there were 2 James - my father being the younger one. Bridget & Hannah were the 2 sisters. Nicholas & Catherine both died in the 1910s and my father was brought back to Bray by his Aunt Mary Anne Fortune nee Nolan.

Offline NNolan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
I did a bit of research a few years ago & found out a few bits & pieces. My father told me years ago that the Nolans were from Wexford originally. Aidan was born in Naas Hospital - I managed to find his records but I'm still trying to pin down exactly what part of Wexford they were from. The archives over here are patchy at best. I'd really be interested in seeing your family tree. I can hopefully fill in a few things from this end.

Offline LottieD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
It was very sad researching Nichlolas and his family.  There were so many premature deaths, due to "the consumption".

From what I remember, Catherine's Mother, Hannah Cleary, took Nicholas and the kids in when she died but Nicholas died soon afterwards.  I didn't know about Jim, only the girls.  It's a shame they were split up but I can imagine it would have been hard for her looking after all three of them.

I've yet to find out what eventually happened to Hannah.  Did Mary Ann bring Jim up?

I have Nicholas's father, Daniel, as born in Wexford but it's been a few years since I done the research and it's a bit hazy.  I'd love to share our tree with you.   I'll pm you.