Author Topic: seeking relatives of RAF Sgt Duncan Rodger BLACK  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
seeking relatives of RAF Sgt Duncan Rodger BLACK
« on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Seeking relatives of RAF Sgt Duncan Rodger BLACK 979716 who was the Wireless Operator of a 58 Squadron Whitley bomber coded N1462. On the 18th June 1941 the aircraft was intercepted by an german nightfighter on their reternway from a raid on Cologne and shotdown near the Dutch village BEST. He and four other crewmembers were killed in the crash andburied at Eindhoven General cemetery in The Netherlands. Duncan Rodger BLACK was the son of Duncan and Elizabeth BLACK, of Greenock, Renfrewshire.   
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: seeking relatives of RAF Sgt Duncan Rodger BLACK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 December 13 17:32 GMT (UK) »
The local paper might be able to advertise your search:

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/

Good hunting!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 December 13 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry - but as explained by the moderator in an earlier post - Rootschat does not allow details of possible living persons to be posted here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670288.0;topicseen

You may find the following helpful in tracing relatives

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - this is not a subscription site but a pay per view site and you have to purchase credits

Use the above site to look for Duncan's birth to identify the year he was born.  It will also give you his mothers maiden name.  You will then need to search Scotlands People for Black births in Renfrew with the same father and mothers names to identify any siblings

If you decide to contact the newspaper as suggested above - you will then have some additional info to help in any search for living relatives
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 December 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

SP has a birth for a Duncan Rodger Black 1920 Greenock , Renfrew.
This certificate will not be available online as it's less than 100 years , unfortunately the online index does not allow you to search using the mother's maiden name.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 December 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
SP has a marriage for a Duncan Black and Elizabeth Rodger 1914 Greenock , Renfrew.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philippe,

Thanks very much for the local newspaper link. I always contact local newspapers first and hope that they publish an appeal for tracking down people but most of the time I heard nothing anymore so I suggest to get in touch with an local newspaper to get in touch with enthousiastic people on Rootschat.com who can help me out. I will also try your option.

Thanks anyway,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 December 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

It is not my intention to add details of possible living people here on Rootschat.com. My intention is to get in touch with enthousiastic people who can help me out with some background information to the family I am looking for. If a member have some sensitive info he or she can send the info on a PM.

Thank you very much for the info you have gave me. I will certainly use the options.
Regards,
Adrian

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe I have research on the family you are looking for.  It ia a few years since I researched it for a friend so will need to look it out for you.

How are you related to Duncan?

I remember though that the Blacks came from a small island near Oban - possibly had a shop in Oban too - and went to Greenock via Glasgow.  I think that Rodger was a maiden name somewhere in the past - possibly his mother - and didn't manage to trace them anywhere else except Greenock.

Will get back to you when I find the info.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello "Grey Seagull"

That's fantastic news!!!  I am NOT related to Duncan Black but I researching the crash of his aircraft Whitley N1462 where he died. His aircraft was shotdown near Best in The Netherlands 17/18 June 1941. His aircraft brought down by a German nightfighter. I am in touch with the relatives of Sgt Weldon(2nd Pilot), and Observer Sgt F.A.Hatton also through the proffesional help with Rootschat members. Also I am in touch with the grandson of the German pilot who brought down N1462, have interviewed some eyewitnesses and I am in toch with the farmer's son who helped Navigator Sgt J.B.Jones with his leg. After this Sgt Jones ended up in a POW camp in Germany. In a later stage we would like to put a memorial at or near the site in memory of this crew.

Thank you very much,
Adrian