Author Topic: Stewarts of Lossiemouth  (Read 15718 times)

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts of Lossiemouth
« on: Monday 09 December 13 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am seeking any info on John Stewart and Isabella Edwards (my 4x great grandparents) and the start  of my line in Lossie. A gravestone at Kineddar shows a John Stuart b1778 d 1848 and Isabella Edward   near to my other relatives graves. Are these the same people? Can anyone provide family tree beyond this. My great grandparents Joseph Stewart and Christina Mitchell and family left for Sydney, Australia in 1926.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Lossiemouth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 10:06 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has a marriage for a John Stuart and Isobel Edward in 1798 in the parish of Drainie which includes Kineddar and Lossiemouth.  They also have 2 John Stuarts born in Drainie, one in 1775 and one in 1778 plus an Isobel Edward born in 1769.  The marriage entry should tell you if they both came from the parish and, occasionally, more detail on the family which may help determine if they are your family.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Found this -
1841 Census - Lossiemouth , Drainie , Morayshire(all born Morayshire)
Jno Stewart 60 fisher
Isabella Stewart 60
Isabella Stewart 15
Janet Stewart 10
(FreeCen transcription)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Suggest you search the Libindx site as there is information about John Stewart there. The biographical details there state he was b c 1778 and was a fisherman and seaman who lived in Lossiemouth. It states he married Isabella Isobel Edward 21 June 1798 in Drainie and was the father of John Stewart. In the miscellaneous section it says that there are details of descendents in Lossie Fisher Folk part 1.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Probably not quite what you are after, but maybe worthy of consideration…

The Royal High Stewart DNA group on www.familytreedna.com is currently looking for Stewart male participants who can trace their ancestors back to the UK and they are currently offering free/subsidised tests.  Stewart DNA is fascinating and it would be well worth checking out.

Best wishes
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
PM re DNA if I can help further

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the input everyone. My great uncle always claimed we were decendants of Alexander Stewart (the Wolf of Badenoch), but never was anything known to back his claims, and others in the family thought him eccentric. He is now long gone as is any information as to why he thought this was part of the family tree. Thanks again all for the encouragement and I'll dig to find further generations and hopefully answer some questions.

Bruce.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Stewart DNA project would love you and your anecdotal tale of descent from Alexander Stewart!  I've had my brother's DNA tested this year and the outcome is that we are probably descended from Alexander's father, Robert II of Scotland.

Valerie

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 March 14 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bruce, John Stewart and Isabella Edwards are my 4th Great Grandparents also.  I live in Queensland Australia. My line is through their son John and his wife Janet, their son William and his wife Ann, their son William and his wife Isabella and their son George.  George left Commerce Street, Lossiemouth and came to Australia in 1912 and married my grandmother Jean Gartshore Macdonald. Their only son Donald Stewart was my father. My information also is that John was born in 1778, died 29 May 1848 and is buried in Kinneddar Cemetery - possibly stone no. 423. Isabella Edwards married John on 21 Jun 1798. Nice to come across another relative - albeit very distant.  Happy to share anything more I may find along the way.
Anne Keys (nee Stewart)
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords