Author Topic: Stewarts of Lossiemouth  (Read 15743 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Lossiemouth
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Ronnie, I am so excited to have heard from you.  I am in fairly constant touch with Sheila and Bob, after Bob contacted my brother Robert a few years ago - from an initial link made years before between Robert and Sheila's daughter Katy. Would love to chat more - and share photos/documents.  I will private message you my email address etc.
Your Aussie cousin,
Anne Keys nee Stewart
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Ronnie MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and will await your E.mail address.

I have photos of Willam and Isabella as well as a painting of him with his boat. Also he received an award for saving fisherman's lives off of Lossiemouth and I have the scroll mounted on our wall.

We also photographed his father's grave in Lossiemouth but require do this again. I have many of the death and birth certificates including uncle Robert who was in America and appears to have had a dentist practise according to the certificate.

It would be good to fill information about these people to understand more about their lives.

I will tell Sheila we have contacted each other.

Ronnie MacDonald

Ronnie MacDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Ronnie thats marvellous to know. We didnt even know our granddad George - well neither did dad- but to hear this about Gr Granddad William is terrific. I have told my brothers you have made contact. Donald loves Scotch whiskey and Bob had told me you work inthe industry. You will have to tell me which one or ones you work with. Hope you got my personal mesage with email addresses
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 March 16 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Recently had DNA tested and the outcome was we are descendants of the Ancient Stewarts, James the 5th high Steward of Scotland being the most closely matched individual. As James was the great grandfather of Alexander Stewart, The Earl of Buchan, the Wolf of Badenoch is now makes the family folklore quite accurate.

Assuming that this is correct, the majority of TWOB's descendants appear to have come through the Atholl area.

Interesting stuff. But don't forget that TWoB had a stronghold at Lochindorb, between Forres and Grantown, and that he was notorious for attacking, pillaging and destroying things, including churches in Elgin and Forres. Maybe there was a bit of rape involved too while he was about it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 April 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's sister Jane Crockett married George( Dogger) Stewart  in 1902 I think he was a son of Peter Stewart. I think this is the same line of Stewarts.  I remember visiting them at Shamrock, in Lossiemouth when I was a child

Offline cathypod

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 February 20 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi i saw christina mitchell is my 2nd great aunt. Her sister catherine is my line. My mum has met some of your family. In
  Australia.   I think my grandmother travelled from lossiemouth to Australia with them when her mother died....Cathypod....

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 August 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi i saw christina mitchell is my 2nd great aunt. Her sister catherine is my line. My mum has met some of your family. In
  Australia.   I think my grandmother travelled from lossiemouth to Australia with them when her mother died....Cathypod....
Cathy I have recently discovered that when my grandmother took my father to Scotland from Australia when he was 5 - an Isabella Stewart was on the same boat also going to Lossiemouth.  I thought it odd at the time but Isabella was from Brisbane.  However recently I found the same Isabella Stewart coming back on the same boat with my grandmother and father and have found they were connected through both her husband, John Stewart, and her family, Smith.  When did your grandmother travel from Lossie to Australia?
Anne Stewart