Author Topic: Stewarts of Lossiemouth  (Read 15719 times)

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Lossiemouth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne, thanks for the message. Looking for a John Stuart (Stewart) and Isobel (Isabella) Edward (Edwards) earlier ancestors is a needle in a haystack in a field full of haystacks at the moment. Will let you know if I can find further. Very interested to know from which area they came from prior to Lossiemouth. The possiblity was Aberfeldy as both their birthplaces with John's father being a Charles Stuart, but as Charles isn't used in following generations as a name again I'm doubtful.
Bruce.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 March 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Very interested to know from which area they came from prior to Lossiemouth. The possiblity was Aberfeldy as both their birthplaces with John's father being a Charles Stuart, but as Charles isn't used in following generations as a name again I'm doubtful.

If that census is correct, they were certainly not from Aberfeldy ;)

There are in fact only two Stewarts and two Stuarts in Drainie in 1841 who were not born in Moray.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, assuming the 1841 census is correct I can't see how they were from anywhere but the Moray area. family search shows Stuarts born in the Drainie parish as early as 1686 but as yet I can find no connection to these Stuarts as yet so the search goes on.

Offline Craigellachie19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 April 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
Bruce I had an email saying there was a personal message from you but there is an error on the site and it says I have no personal messages
Anne

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 April 14 01:21 BST (UK) »
Anne, have sent the pm again. Nothing too exciting just a contact email and some info.
Bruce

Offline Vicky1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
hi bruce,
i'm from the john Stewart and Isabella Edwards line , if you haven't discovered it already try this site http://www.lossiefowk.co.uk/high.htm hope it helps :) it would be nice to hear if you've found anything about where they came from prior to lossie?:)

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 July 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky, thanks for saying hello. Have been onto the Lossiefowk website for a few years now and it is quite helpful. My line is through John and isabella's son William, his son John (Jock Willichan) and his son Joseph (my great grandfather). Still have nothing further than John and Isabella, however based on the Scottish naming principles, (how they named their children) I expect John parents to be John and Janet, and Isabella's parents to be William and Isabella. In the Stotfield fishing disaster on 25 December, 1806 a number of the Edward family were lost, among them a William Edward and his son, the widow was named Isabella.
Family search indicates that Robert, John and Alexander Stuart were born Drainie, 1686, 1687 and 1690 respectively however Lossiefowk recollections indicate no Stewart / Stuart prior to the arrival of James "press gang" Stewart just after the Stotfield tragedy of 1806. So still searching! Happy to share any info I can find.

Will send you a pm.
Bruce

Offline mr goggomobile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 April 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just to fill you in on where I have got to, still searching for my ancestors path to Lossiemouth, but have a few more clues.

Recently had DNA tested and the outcome was we are descendants of the Ancient Stewarts, James the 5th high Steward of Scotland being the most closely matched individual. As James was the great grandfather of Alexander Stewart, The Earl of Buchan, the Wolf of Badenoch is now makes the family folklore quite accurate.

Assuming that this is correct, the majority of TWOB's descendants appear to have come through the Atholl area.

My closest match through DNA is a gentleman by the surname Robertson, with a Perthshire history. The Robertson surname originated in the Atholl area following the assasination of King James 1. Numerous marriages between Stewarts and Robertsons in the Atholl areas, so both families appear quite closely linked and extended families could mean a surname change.

A number of my other closest DNA matches have a Perthshire connection.

i can also locate a record of a birth of an Alexander Stewart in Drainie in 1690, parents being a John Stewart and Jean Robertson.

Also in Seatown, a Athole Place existed at least to 1881, yet no other streets seem to be named after distant regions, so some connection between the areas must exist. I can't seem to locate it on the maps now.

I have family information that a John Stewart (Stuart) was indeed born in Aberfeldy, (with a father, Charles) however I think he may be a few generations further back than my original John Stuart b 1778, perhaps the John Stewart married to Jean Robertson, ie married in Aberfeldy (or thereabouts) before 1690 and moved to Seatown / Lossiemouth.  Just a perhaps.

All is speculation without some documentation to support it unfortunately.
Any ideas would be appreciated of course.
And if anyone else has a Atholl to Lossie family link, around this time, I'd be interested.

Bruce

Offline Ronnie MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Anne

I believe we are related through our great grandfather William Stewart and I have read your details and also compared this with my cousins research which shows the family line leading to you in Australia. My cousins are Robert MacDonald and his sister Sheila Webster.

I have tried in the past to trace the Austrian side of our family and had an address but was unable to further the search.

It would be great to hear from you and I am happy to photograph any family sites and send as I stay 30 miles from Lossiemouth.

Ronnie MacDonald