Author Topic: McKellar Inveraray 1830s  (Read 5030 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKellar Inveraray 1830s
« on: Tuesday 10 December 13 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I have searched Scotland's People for any record of the deaths of the following people in Inveraray:

Catherine (or Katherine) McKellar (m/s Ross) died 10 Sept 1830 in Inveraray
Robert McKellar (her husband) innkeeper of the Argyll Hotel, died 1836 or 1837 and reputedly buried at Kilmalieu

I can't find either death on SP, though I have searched on surname variants, wide date ranges and other places than Inveraray.  I have also searched internet sources of Kilmalieu inscriptions etc without success.

Does anyone have any more information or any suggestions on why I can't find these records?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: McKellar Inveraray 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

This perhaps explains why you are finding nothing -

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&1355

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Birdboot,
                I also have family buried in Kilmalieu burial ground. Details for deaths around that time are not available, as you know.
                I decided to have another dig around on the net and Googled " Kilmalieu burial ground"
                Somebody has made available - on Flickr - photos of Kilmalieu and among them is a photo of the burial stone of your Catherine Ross , wife of Robert Mc Kellar , Innkeeper ---
                Hopefully, you may be able to contact the person who took the photos and get copies.
                      Let me know how you get on, Regards, Jean

Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jean.  I posted on behalf of a relative in Australia who is closer to the McKellars than me.  She searched for the graveyard on a visit to UK in 2010 but didn't find it, so she is delighted to see the picture on Flickr.

Best wishes
Jim  :)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 May 15 05:43 BST (UK) »

Hi Jim,
          Glad that I was able to be helpful. I too live is Australia (Queensland ) so  it is great to occasionally find little treasures like those photos. After I contacted you, I thought I should have a close look at all those photos on Flikr and lo and behold, there was a photo of the gravestone of my 4x G Grandparents on my Mum`s side - Robert Walls and his spouse Janet Mathie dating back to the 1820`s- so it turned out to be quite special for me too.I knew from a helpful researcher in Furnace , years ago, that they were buried there but had never seen a photo. New items are being added to the internet all the time , so it occasionally pays to go over old ground.
         In one of my fringe families I have a Mary McKellar McIntosh who lived in the Wide Bay / Maryborough region of Queensland . Hmmm  ----
          Happy to have been  some help Jean      ( Thommoje )

Offline denisefm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello thommoje
I've come across a message that you posted sometime back about Mary McKellar McIntosh who lived in Maryborough area.  She is my 1C3R, her father, Robert, being my 2xg grandmother's (Mary McIntosh) brother.  Wondered what you meant by the 'Hmmm' comment and how you would be related.  I see it's a fringe family. 
You may already know that the McKellar part of her name came about because Mary McIntosh married John McKellar.  Their son Alexander was my great grandfather and he and several of his brothers and a sister as well as his mother, settled in Bauple near Maryborough.  Robert McIntosh also came to Queensland and three of his children, Mary, John and George went to Brooweena, another son David Gibb McIntosh spent some time in Bauple.  Brooweena and Bauple are fairly close to where I live near Maryborough.
I'd love to hear from you.
Denise

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise,
             Good to hear from you. I explored the McIntosh family extensively as I was seeking to find out more about Helen Riddell ( a blood relative of mine ) who became the second wife of George Alexander Hope. George Alexander Hope came to Queensland  aboard the Helenslee in 1862 with his first wife Elizabeth Black and  family. (The story of the Helenslee is fascinating - do you know it?)
             One of the children of that family was Margaret Turner Hope who married Robert Mc Intosh in Brisbane in September 1864. I have explored the many children of that union , though I expect you know more. I was  interested as these were among the few folk I had found who came to Queensland - most of my folk were Scots.As I live in Queensland , I thought I would keep going to see what I could find.
              I have plenty about the extended family of George Alexander Hope who became one of the early pioneers of the sugar industry in Queensland  - based on the Nerang River , Southport.
 We could get in touch by email if you wish. Regards , Jean

Offline denisefm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean
I live in Qld also, outside Maryborough.  Would love to correspond as I'm keen to learn more about the McIntosh family.  I really only know what my cousin Fay told me when she was alive and what I've gleaned from records.  Except of course for GG Grandma Mary McKellar (McIntosh).  I read somewhere that McIntosh Island near Nerang was named after Robert McIntosh who married Margaret Turner Hope.  Do you know if this is accurate?  I hope it is.  Another interesting story.  It's the stories about family that I love most.
I'll be away in Rockhampton for the next few days but will still check in on my emails. 
Glad to have found you.
Cheers
Denise

Offline Scottmc85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 10:43 GMT (UK) »
One of the children of that family was Margaret Turner Hope who married Robert Mc Intosh in Brisbane in September 1864. /quote]

Hi Jean,
I am just starting out on my family history journey. I am a direct descendent of the couple you mentioned above (Robert McIntosh & Margaret Hope). Would you have any other information on the McIntosh line you could share? I have some old family photos of my family and some of the McKellars that they were close with. My father and aunt have passed on some hard copy information to me which I have begun to digitise.

I've come across a message that you posted sometime back about Mary McKellar McIntosh who lived in Maryborough area.  She is my 1C3R, her father, Robert, being my 2xg grandmother's (Mary McIntosh) brother. 

Hi Denise,
Robert McIntosh of Southport is my 2xG Grandfather. All the stories I have been told confirm that McIntosh Island on the Gold coast was named after Robert. My Aunt approached the GC council many years ago to have the spelling of the name corrected from Mac to Mc.
Search for "Macintosh v McIntosh: dual claims on park name" on the ABC news website there is a little story about the island's name.
If you have any information regarding the family history it would be greatly appreciated if you could share.