Author Topic: John Durrant about 1700  (Read 5167 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Durrant about 1700
« on: Friday 13 December 13 08:08 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking help in finding out the probability that one of the ancestors could be the correct one. I have managed to trace the line back to John Durrant and Hannah Daines/Daynes. The were married at Elsing, Norfolk 26 December 1715.

The first three children were born in Garveston, and the fourth at Thuxton. Garveston and Thuxton are very close together, to the south of Dereham but Elsing is to the north east of Dereham. Both are about 5 miles from Dereham.

I have a birth for John Durrant at Ashill, about 10 miles to the south west of Dereham.

Is it possible that John Durrant of Ashill is the same as John Durrant of Elsing.

Any assistance, including negative, would be gratefully received

A Chesters

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Durrant about 1700
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 December 13 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I think it's perfectly possible that someone would have married 18 miles by foot (Google maps not exhaustive knowledge!) from their place of birth. People would have travelled to find work, not everyone would have had the luxury of employment in the village of their birth.
That said, there are several John Durrant/Durant baptisms within 20 miles of Elsing.
Also, in Ashill I've found 2 baptisms-
John son of  Edward and Judith 1691
John son of Edward 1705 http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=1068571
No burial record for the first John but, unless there were 2 Edwards, John 2nd would be too you for your marriage.
There is this baptism-also young but possibly a year or 2 at baptism
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=8814055
Aylsham is 12 miles from Elsing.
Does that help or muddy the waters further?  :-\
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 December 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Jan.

I think that the second one you found is a litle too young, as the marriage I have is 1715, which would make him 10 :o

The first one you found, which I had not, would make him 16 at marriage. The information I have for Hannah makes her 24 at marriage.

If this one is correct, that means I have more questions to look at :'( :'(

Once again, many thanks.

AC

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 December 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
The second Ashill would definitely be too young -I thought you'd found the first Ashill who'd presumably died by the time John 2nd was born.
The Aylsham baptism was 1699 -still pretty young  for a marriage to a 24 year old. The problem with such early records is that they often fade or are damaged. There may be an Elsing baptism thats a perfect fit hiding on a water-damaged page!  :(
Have you tried looking at the original records on Family Search?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11020-22247-48?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-SGL:1633704623#uri=https://familysearch.org#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fcollection%2F1416598%2Fwaypoints
It's possible that you may find a record that hasn't been transcribed. Or you may find pages missing that will at least give you a clue. I've tried the link and I'm not sure about it-I tried to give you the Elsing page.  :-[ (I do like these santas!)
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 13 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Jan Thanks for that information, and link.

I have run into a problem (nothing unusual in this game).
Doing a search for Hannah Daines in Family Search, the Norfolk Bishops Transcripts, I find a reference for a Hannah Daines marrying a James Lyn in Billingford in 1708. She is noted as a widow. The image has the church as Billingforde, and the rector as Edmund? Ivory. The Parish Record image has nothing for the couple, and the rector as John Bryant.

Which is correct ::) ::)

I is just a little confused  ??? ???  :'( :'(

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 December 13 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hmm -Billingford is about 5 miles from Elsing. If Hannah was 24 in 1715 she'd have been 17 in 1708-making her a very young widow. :-\

How much do you know about Hannah-birth record, parents and so on? It's possible that there were two of them -cousins or aunt/niece.
I've had that happen in my family so that a relatively unusual name (well, not Mary or John) is repeated throughout the family so there are several people with identical names!

I've found your 1715 marriage on Freereg, (but not the 1708 one) but no details about status or parentage of the couple which doesn't' help at all!  ???
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 December 13 02:05 GMT (UK) »
At this stage, I have very little on her birth record or parents, as I have only just got to this part of the tree, so working out just who is who is a bit difficult. The images I have found on the marriage/s give no information regarding parents at all, most annoying.

Will just have to go through as many records and images as possible, and try to sort them out.

Many thanks for you help and interest

AC

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 December 13 02:39 GMT (UK) »
             Hi AC just to stick my oar in, the 1691 in Ashill would make him 24 not 16 or am
             I missing the point, Dave

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 December 13 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Dave, the one Jan was pointing out was baptised 1699, which would make John 16 at the time.

I am having to trawl through the various images, and the FreeBDM transcripts, to try to sort it out.

As I said  in my previous post, I have only just arrived at this point, so am effectivly starting from scratch, as I have no other information. I got this far by following the Durrants from my gggrandmother through four generations to get here. All fine and records to go with them, but have now got to the difficult stage. :-X

Thanks for your interest,

AC