Author Topic: Williams connection  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams connection
« on: Sunday 15 December 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Met with the niece of both Walter Arthur Dear Williams (born 1861) and Herbert Frederick Henry Williams (born 1869) last week.  She had heard the story that one of her Uncles had gone to work in a goldmine in South Africa - this could be quite right as when an Aunt marries in 1904, the marriage notice in the newspaper states to be printed in South African newspapers please.  However, I do not know which of these two men it could be - the only detail I have on Arthur is his birth certificate.  The only news of Herbert is that he also could have gone by the name Richard.  Can anyone recommend where I should begin to look?

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Williams connection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 December 13 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Met with the niece of both Walter Arthur Dear Williams (born 1861) and Herbert Frederick Henry Williams (born 1869) last week.  She had heard the story that one of her Uncles had gone to work in a goldmine in South Africa - this could be quite right as when an Aunt marries in 1904, the marriage notice in the newspaper states to be printed in South African newspapers please.  However, I do not know which of these two men it could be - the only detail I have on Arthur is his birth certificate.  The only news of Herbert is that he also could have gone by the name Richard.  Can anyone recommend where I should begin to look?

I have found two estate files for a William Arthur Williams.  The first (KAB) is held in the Cape Town archives and the second (TAB) in Pretoria.

As it is thought that he might have worked in a gold mine I would suggest that the TAB one is most likely to be his.

To order the one from KAB would require you to obtain the services of a researcher.  However, the TAB one can be ordered through eggsa.org.  You would require all the details listed below to order it.

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/12621                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 258/46                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          WILLIAMS, WILLIAM ARTHUR. ESTATE PAPERS.                             
STARTING  19460000                                                             
ENDING    19460000   
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 2444/54                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          WILLIAMS, WILLIAM ARTHUR.                                             
STARTING  19530000                                                             
ENDING    19530000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE MURIEL MAY WILLIAMS. 

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 December 13 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I am in Cape Town for another month and will be going back to the archives this week and happy to look up the estate files for you.Let me know if I can help.
Gingerbit
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear gingerbit - if there is anything that you are able to find about an Arthur Williams, that would be brilliant - not certain of the name William Arthur Williams that was mentioned by nookie, as his first name was Walter?  Would be most grateful.  Thanking you  :)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 December 13 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear gingerbit - if there is anything that you are able to find about an Arthur Williams, that would be brilliant - not certain of the name William Arthur Williams that was mentioned by nookie, as his first name was Walter?  Would be most grateful.  Thanking you  :)

So sorry about that - obviously having a very grey moment  :-[  Will start the search again.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nookie, that would be brilliant.  We definitely know that 1904 is the year someone was there due to the newspaper notice mentioned earlier - any sign of a Walter Arthur, known as Arthur to his family, or Herbert Frederick Henry, possibly known as Richard - would be amazing.  Am betting on Arthur moreso.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 January 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nookie, that would be brilliant.  We definitely know that 1904 is the year someone was there due to the newspaper notice mentioned earlier - any sign of a Walter Arthur, known as Arthur to his family, or Herbert Frederick Henry, possibly known as Richard - would be amazing.  Am betting on Arthur moreso.

Really not doing well on this one I am afraid :(  I did however find a gravestone for a Richard Williams born in Australia in 1869.  If this could be your Richard you can see it on eggsa.org, under gravestones, search all and then type in Williams.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
One or two possibilities from me but stress the word possiblities.

I found a William Arthur Williams death notice 29.12.1945. Father-  unclear forename, Williams, Mother -Sarah . Spouse Hester -divorced 1938.

Florence Pooley  nee Williams, death notice 25.3 1959 in Johannesberg residence Welkom.
Father-Walter Williams Mother- Sarah Ann

Elizabeth Williams nee Morgan d. 1904 surviving spouse-Richard Williams. Details from Gauteng archives - TAB , Type LEER, Volume 0, ref. 5834  I don't have access to TAB records but they can be ordered.

Also have three records to look at when I get to the Cape Town archives again. These are for a Walter Williams and look like paperwork about mortgage bonds and business deals. The dates are from 1884-1898. Maybe they will shed some light on things.

Have you got the newspaper name or any other details from that ?

Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 14 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Parents names were Clara and John - newspaper article was from Camperdown, Victoria, Australia.

Wow, will go check the Richard Williams grave - keeping everything crossed!

Will have to search too for the Walter Williams & Sarah Ann marriage possibly?