Author Topic: KENNEY_Spearman/John 1797, CORBETT_Dinah, Pls HELP!! :)  (Read 3483 times)

Offline kylaanne83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KENNEY_Spearman/John 1797, CORBETT_Dinah, Pls HELP!! :)
« on: Sunday 15 December 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »

Hello! :)

I am just new to the genealogical search world and have hit a road block. I am looking for some help in locating 2 John Kenney's from Limerick, Ireland, and any information connected to them. Here is what I have...

My 2x Great Grandfather is SPEARMAN CORBETT KENNEY, b. 1862 in Ontario, Canada. The middle name Corbett is his mother's maiden name, as was custom. So his Mother's name is DINAH CORBETT, b. 1842 d. 1869 in Middlesex, Ontario, Canada. Spearman's father's name is JOHN KENNEY, b. 1834 in Limerick, Ireland. (I would really like to find out any info about the Corbett side of things here too!)

Now, John Kenney's father is also named JOHN KENNEY, b. 1797 in Ireland but died in 1884 in Canada. This John, lets call him Sr., married a woman named Jane, b. 1816. I would like to find out who this Jane person is and her relations, as she is my 4x Great Grandmother. John & Jane Kenney came to Canada around 1840 to the Middlesex, Ontario, area, with 3 children: John (jr) b. ~1834, Eliza b. ~1836, and William b. ~1838, who were all born in Ireland too. They went on to have 6 more children in Canada. I would like to find birth/baptism records for all of the above mentioned people. I would like to find marriage records as well.

John Sr.'s 05 July 1815 - Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service record lists his place of birth as the County/City/Town: Limerick, and the Parish: Kenny. This is the only document I've found thus far for either John Kenney from Ireland. Why can't I find marriage or birth/baptism documents? In this same document, there is a few columns for "Observations" which then list some numbers and the phrase something like "at Limerick by pay Mr Griffin" - or something similar to that. What does that mean?

That's all I can confirm. I would really like to find out more information about the family from both sides. I have plenty of information on Spearman and have only really included that information in here because it's a unique name that I'm hoping will separate this set of John Kenney's from others? Does anyone have any information that relates to these families?

In advance, I truly appreciate any help you may be able to provide. Thank you,
Many Blessings to you & yours, & Happy Holiday Season! :)