Author Topic: Margaret Epps marrying James Fraser Ralston  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Epps marrying James Fraser Ralston
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn,

No I just went onto the GRO website and ordered it by inputting the details of who they were searching for. That's why it's taking till Jan to process it. As I put in both parties in the marriage. And the parents of James Ralston.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
So a top tip for your next order, use the GRO ref and you should get the cert sent out in 5 days. As you place your order the screen asks if the GRO reference is known, it defaults to 'no' so should be changed to yes.

There is also the chance that the information you sent with the application may not be correct with what's on the cert so your order may be rejected.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 January 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I got my certificate in today. James Fraser Ralston was age 25 and Margaret Alice Epps was 19. They married in St. Andrews Church in Hendon, Middlesex on 18th Sept 1945. Both were living at 178 Carr Road in Greenford. James was a Sapper in HM Army. Army number 2014469. Margaret's Father was deceased at the time of marriage. But James's Father was listed as William Ralston who was a joiner.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 January 14 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Based on her age at marriage, the birth shown in an earlier reply is a possibility but you haven't named her father.

Do you need any further help with this or are you up and running again with this line?

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 January 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
If this was the right Margaret A Epps in Canterbury reg. Dec qtr 1925 possible parents marriage

Ernest Epps and Alice Bundock Canterbury Dec qtr 1921 brother born 1923.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 January 14 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn and Jennifer,

the marriage certificate didn't mention who her parents were. The only thing it said was that her father was deceased at the time of the marriage. No mention of his name or who Margaret's mother was. But I see you have gave me a couple of suggestions and thanks for finding them for me. Only clue I can give is that she had a sweet shop in Canterbury. So if anyone can find any census records or trace the Epps family backwards from here. As I seem to have the Ralston side back to the 1700's. But nothing on the Epps side.

Wilton Endeavour

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 January 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
English & Welsh marriage certs don't name the mother but usually name the father even though deceased, unless illegitimate. Even then, some people 'invented' fathers for proprieties sake.

There is a possible death for Ernest Epps aged 46 in Canterbury in Mar 1940ref 46 2A

The latest census is 1911, but we can't do look-ups for that census here on Rootschat. After that you could look at electoral registers if they survive, but they weren't compiled 1940-1946 as the government had other things on its mind.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Duly Noted

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 May 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi. Margaret and James were my Grandparents. They lived in Castlecary, Cumbernauld until their deaths.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Duly Noted

Welcome to Rootschat.

Wilton Endeavour was online a couple of weeks ago so should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea