Author Topic: Pte M. Jenkins  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Pte M. Jenkins
« on: Tuesday 17 December 13 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Yet another Welsh lad, namely, Mordecai Jenkins died in France with the Australian army.  Born circa 1887, New Tredegar, Monmouthshire, he went to Australia in 1913.  Can someone please help with background info; I would appreciate a look-up on the 1901 census with parents Lemuel & Mary Jenkins and could I please ask for a check on the passenger lists for details of his outgoing journey.  Any help and information appreciated.
Thanks, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pte M. Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Theres a Mordecai Jenkins abt 1888 went to Brisbane 6 Jun 1913 he was a miner .On the Orama ship travelled alone.age 25 Welsh
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Lemuel Jenkins 54 coal hewer b Blackwood,Mons
Mary 51 wife b Dowlais,Glams
Thomas W 21 son b Dowlais
Mary J 18 dau b ditto
Samuel 16 son b ditto
Mordecai 14 son coal hewer b New Tredegar Mons
Willie 11 son b ditto
Maggie B 10 dau b ditto
10 Greenfields,Bedwelty,New Tredegar
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the details, I wonder if it's possible to tell me if the family were still at the same address on the 1911, and any additions to the family.  I assume Mordecai's occupation would still be a coal miner?
Regards and thanks
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:00 GMT (UK) »
132 Commercial Street,New Tredegar,yes hes still a miner.no new additions but Maggie B is missing

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:10 GMT (UK) »
theres a monumental inscription on Ancestry

In loving memory of Pte Mordecai Jenkins 270S.B.Coy 4th Division,4th Pioneers.Australian Imperial Force,The beloved son of Lemuel and Mary Jenkins,132 Commercial Street,New Tredegar,who died of wounds recieved in action Sep 16th 1913 aged 31 years.Interred at Hancourt cemetery,France.
greater love hath no man than this,that he lay down his life for his friends.
also the above named Mary Jenkins who died Aug 16 1923 aged 74 years and the above named Lemuel Jenkins who died Nov 21st 1923 aged 77 years.Thy will be done

there is a will for Lemuel 1923 which gives his address as 132 Commercial Road.so the family must have stayed there from between 1901-1911 until death.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, can I finish up by asking for a look-up of the 1891.
Roy

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Lemuel 45 bore miner b Mons
Mary 42 wife b Glams
Susan 20 dau b Glams
Annie 18 dau b Glams
Thomas H 11 son b Glams on 1881 Thomas Walter aged 1 so perhaps this should be Thos W not H
Lemuel 7 son b Glams
Mordicai 5 son b Mons
William 2 son b Mons
Maggie B 1 dau b Mons
Greenfield Bedwelty

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kindness and also being so prompt with your replies, I am very grateful for your help.  For your interest, I am researching local soldiers for the 2014 centenery and the details you so kindly sent me will enable me to write a brief background to his story.
Many thanks and Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year. :) ;)
Roy