Author Topic: How do I remove the extra person  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How do I remove the extra person
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

In the attached photo of my Mum on her wedding day i want to remove the man standing beside her. I have been trying to do it but when i get to removing his hand from her arm it doesn't look right. Suggestions for the best way to do this would be appreciated.

I am using the latest version of photoshop.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How do I remove the extra person
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki,
   Removing the hand is the easy part, it's the steps and brickwork that will be the big problem. Unless you want the background, it would be far easier to remove the man and background altogether and replace it with a studio backdrop. As her right leg is on the higher step a crop above the knee would be required.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants

I hadn't even begun to think about the background was more worried about removing the hand. After having another look at the background of the photo I think i will use a different background.

Have got a bit of time now until i go back to tafe next semester so will have a play around and see what i can do.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
After playing around with the tools i have managed to get my mother by herself. It needs more work but what do you think

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Look for the "healing brush" I find it often works better than cloning.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki,
   Looks like you know how to do a good selection. What you need to do know is zoom in on the hand area and use the clone stamp tool to clone  her arm and the sleeve. If need be you can touch it up with the healing brush tool.

Heres one I did.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 05 10:34 BST (UK) »
Michael : Thanks for the suggestion ... will have a play

Deadants : They're looking good. Has given me the push to try a bit more with photoshop.

Jaki

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
Here is my latest attempt. I used the magnetic selection tool and finally worked out how to select different areas at the one time to remove the unwanted parts of the photo. I used a pattern layer on this one and on another one i used a colour layer. I haven't yet worked out how to get the coloured oval but am working on it.

Jaki

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki

A couple more for you.

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones