Author Topic: Learning to read and write  (Read 2440 times)

Offline KATE1001

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Learning to read and write
« on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On my great grandparents' marriage cert it states they are unable to read or write the marriage took place in 1877, but on the 1901 Census it states they are literate.  Do you think they stated  this because they didn't want to admit they were illiterate or did they somehow manage to learn to read and write between 1877 and 1901?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to read and write
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
normally on the census forms when people were illiterate the enumerator usually a police constable would sign their name with an x above it indicating his/her mark,if this is not the case look at the enumerators signature and compare it to the rest of the writing on the form sometimes they did not bother indicating that the person being enumerated was illiterate.Also if there was a child in the household old enough and educated enough perhaps they could have filled out the form for them.
Dathai.

Offline KATE1001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Dathai for your reply.  The numerator's signature on the form is different to the Head of Family's signature.  One of the children who were still living at home may have signed the form as they are all stated as being able to read and write, or maybe the children may have taught their parents basic literacy.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 December 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
On my great grandparents' marriage cert it states they are unable to read or write the marriage took place in 1877, but on the 1901 Census it states they are literate.  Do you think they stated  this because they didn't want to admit they were illiterate or did they somehow manage to learn to read and write between 1877 and 1901?

Why not?  23 or 24 years would be plenty of time for them to learn how.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 December 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's grandmother supposedly signed the census form (only other person in house was a blind son) but a few years later she signed her Will with an X. I traced what seemed to be her signature on the census (before I had copy of Will) and strangely enough it is the same handwriting as her brother (lived next house)! However, I do know that she was educated as a young girl and almost certainly could read & write- perhaps by 1901 she was infirm and not able to see or write well?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 December 13 12:09 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother taught herself to read and write as her children learned.  She was born around 1890 in country Australia and apparently had little chance to go to school as she travelled with her father after her mother died.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531