Author Topic: William Woods of Dundalk – mentioned in Tempest’s Annual  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Woods of Dundalk – mentioned in Tempest’s Annual
« on: Friday 20 December 13 11:40 GMT (UK) »
On the internet, I have found mention that the centenary edition of Tempest’s Annual of 1959 contained portraits (not sure if this means images or short biographies) of notable people from Dundalk’s past.  Among the people listed is a William Woods.

I am interested in William Woods from Dundalk who was a town-sergeant (per records for the christening of his son James at St Nicholas church in 1825) and later a town-bailiff (per his son James’s marriage certificate from 1847).

I am wondering whether the William Woods mentioned in Tempest’s Annual is the William Woods who was town-sergeant and town-bailiff.

Please could anyone let me know should they have access to Tempest’s Annual or be able to tell me where to review a copy.

Thank you.

David

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Woods of Dundalk – mentioned in Tempest’s Annual
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 December 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
David
There was a 150th edition printed in 2009
This is a link to a newspaper article on it
The contact shown in the article may be able to help source more information
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 December 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
William Tempest, from Rostrevor, Co. Down, set up in Dundalk as a printer and stationer in the year 1859.    Tempest's premises were in Crowe Street, Dundalk.    He printed his first Directory of the town in 1861.    Availability of the Directory continued until 1959 when the Centenary Annual was published.    In 1965 the Old Dundalk Society revived the Directory, but publication ceased in 1976.

Tempest's Annual was essentially a business directory, and as well as containing useful local information also included articles about the locality.    Of interest from the genealogy standpoint: in 1913 the publication started to include a "Street Directory" and in 1931 an "Index to Obituary Notices".

So if that is the position that your William Woods had then it 'could' to be him

Also see
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/1833-40_dundalk_town_valuations_by_street.htm
http://www.mc-research.com/Home/Records/Electors/records_that_survive.htm

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
I have found out that Tempest's Annuals are held at Dundalk library run by Louth County Council.  A very helpful member of staff has checked for me.  Unfortunately, an entry for William Woods cannot be located in the centenary edition after all.  But at least this avenue has been explored.

So topic closed: for now at least!

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:14 BST (UK) »
The 50th Anniversary edition of Tempests Annual (1909) contained pictures and biographies of the great and the good of Dundalk . The Centenary Edition (1959) reprinted these and added more pictures, but no biographies to go with the new photographs. So there is a picture of a moustachioed William Woods among the new photographs, but no information about him. However, this is probably too late to be the William Woods you are looking for.  Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Brendan

Thanks very much for the extra information.  That is most helpful.

I am planning a trip to Dundalk, probably in the Spring, to look through the records held in the reference library.  So hopefully I will hit lucky with at least an obituary or two from old newspapers.

From your user-name, I gather that you are the JB Hall who has placed so much excellent research and reference material on your internet page.  Many thanks for that too.  Your work is much appreciated.

David

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 16 16:05 BST (UK) »
Just wanting to close this topic now.  I have searched the Tempest's Annuals and drawn a blank.  Nothing more to be done!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

David