Author Topic: Hertfordshire Key words  (Read 11185 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Hertfordshire Key words
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felizarda,

sent you a PM

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline AmyUK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 12:01 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of my 6x grandfathers will. He lived in Colney Hatch, Middx, but left an enormous amount of property in his will. I  thought I'd list some key words from the will, with the hope that someone might recognise some of them. If anyone recognises any names, I can send you a bit more information. If anyone can give me a bit more info about the place names, I'd be most grateful.
  • Rose Neale, Henry Neale
    Ware & Thundridge, County of Hertford (especially a malting house)
    Thomas Adams
    Thomas Stratton
    Coltsfoot Farm
    Lowes Wood, Bulls Wood
    Thomas Page
    Datchworth (?) & Welwyn, Herts.
    Thomas & Sarah Sheppard
    Mary & Cornelius Buller (later governor of the Bank of England)
    John Waite Esq the Younger
    Rev William Money
    John Scott
    Henry Thornton
    Robert Smith (Attorney at Law), Bowinghale
    Stuart Gordon
    William Cade Key
    Robert Booth

My Great Great Great Grandfather was Thomas Adams, maltmaker from Ware, he had a grandson Thomas Adams that was killed in World War 1 but i think he also had a cousin or uncle Thomas Adams as all the Adams' from Ware seem to fit into my tree somewhere especially as they all seem to live near each other or in the same street and are mostly all maltmakers.

If you think this fits into your tree or want more information, i have alot of Adams names and dates that i can pm you.

Amy
SUSSEX - Linscer, Lincer, Linser
EAST LONDON - Watts, Sale, Steel
STRATFORD UPON AVON - Sale
WESTMINSTER & WANDSWORTH- Powell, Bevis
WARE, HERTFORDSHIRE - Adams, Bangs, Petts
AYRSHIRE - Young, Armour, Buchanan, Murray

Offline Verbatim

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
I too am descended from Richard Down through his son Henry and grandson William.  If I remember correctly Rose Adams was the daughter of Thomas and grandaughter of Daniel Adams, a malster of Ware and she was a considerable heiress when she married at Bengeo old church (St Leonards).  Her descendant (or grandaughter??) Rose Neale was another heiress when she  married Richard Down around 1770.  She lived at Halliwick Manor House Friern Barnet which the Cleeves owned for several generations.  Henry Neale the elder, a banker, married a daughter of the Cleeve family.  The Cleeve brother had no children and left the house etc to his sister's son Henry Neale the younger, another banker who had a daughter Rose.  Henry went bankcrupt around the time Richard Down married his daughter and died soon after.  Richard went on to buy back the house and to make another fortune.  He and Rose had 20 (!) children.  Rose was about 20 years his junior and although Richard lived into his eighties she outlived him.

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 September 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there

You may be interested to know that Ware's main industry was maltmaking, so much so that it was the greatest producer of malt in the country at one time, paying the largest amount of tax.  The malt would have been transported by barge into London.  Some of my ancesters were bargemen and I have made an attempt to look into the malting industry in Ware in more detail but sadly there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info to find..

Thundridge is only a mile or so north of Ware and would have been on the main London to Cambridge road. 
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline Pensdee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 16:04 GMT (UK) »
For Verbatim

You say Henry Neale married Mary Cleeve. Do you have any info about Henry, please?such as parents DoB??  Many thanks

Offline SarahMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 July 14 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Better late than never (in case you haven't found this out?!).  Richard Down's daughter Rose married William Cade Key (c1772-1823) in 1809.  They had two children:
- William Down Key (b 1812) who appears to have died unmarried in 1836
- Rose (b 1814) who married Barrett Edward Lampet in 1837

Hope it helps!
Sarah

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 July 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

HALS has quite a bit on some of the names listed.

Coltsfoot . . . . . http://www.coltsfoot.com
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=527026&y=217383&z=0&sv=sg36sb&st=2&pc=sg3+6sb&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

Specifically, whose will was it?

Who was the brewer?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).