Author Topic: John EDWARDS, Lamb Inn, Penderyn  (Read 6928 times)

Offline bickleton56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John EDWARDS, Lamb Inn, Penderyn
« on: Sunday 22 December 13 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find information on a JOHN EDWARDS.He is on the 1871 census as "Innkeeperof the Lamb Inn Penderyn.
But he is not on the 1881 census.
He is not buried with his wife, whose grave is in the Abedare cemetry.And he is not listed in the Merthyr Tydfil Burials Office.
I would be very grateful for any information that anyone can come up with.Mye-mail is......

PLEASE contact me if you can possibly help.I can supply more details if necessary.
Many thanks,
Graham.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bickleton56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John EDWARDS, Lamb Inn, Penderyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Regarding my request for any help to try and locate John Edwards (My Gt Grandfather), I have made a slight mistake in saying that he is on the 1871 census as an Innkeeper of the Lamb Inn Penderyn.He is, in fact, down as a Butcher.However, on the baptism record for his Daughter Margaret Jesse Edwards (my Grandmother on my Fathers'side),he is down as Innkeeper, Lamb Inn Penderyn),and the date of the baptism was 1879.So, he is definitely alive in 1879, but does not appear on the 1881 census,so he could have died between those dates.
Hope this helps in any way.
Hope to hear from you, in the New Year, if you can find anything/anybody to assist me in further research.
Best wishes,
Graham.

Moderator comment: split from old thread for better response.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Agree definitely alive in 1879

Gwladgarwr   —   7 November 1879
MARWOLAETHAU. Hydref 30ain, ar ol cystudd byr, yn 23 mlwydd oed, Catherine, merch henaf Mr. John Edwards, Lamb Inn, Penderyn, a nith i Mrs. Eowlands cigyddes, Duke-street, Aberdar Claddwyd hi y dydd Llun canlynol yn y Ceme- tery, pryd y cafodd angladd barchus iawn.

DEATHS. 30th October, after a short illness, aged 23 years, Catherine, oldest daughter of r John Edwards, Lamb Inn Penderyn and niece of Mrs Rowlands, butcher, Duke St, Aberdare. She was buried the following Monday in the Cemetary, where she was given a very repectful funeral

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
It also looks like the Edwardses handed over the licence in 1879 - I can see a report of the Vaynor sessions where Alice Edwards passed the licence of the Lamb Inn to a John Jones in April, and John Rosser Edwards to John Jones in May

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Just checking you've got the right John Edwards on 1871, as you say he is a butcher. This is I think the gentleman who ended up in the Lamb Inn - the son is John Rosser, there's a Catherine to match the death and John Rosser jnr was living with Mrs Margaret Rowlands the butcher in Duke St Aberdare in 1881. However on 1871 he's a cattle dealer.

John Edwards    34
Joan Edwards    34
Catherine Edwards    14
Mary Edwards    13
James Edwards    10
William Edwards    8
John Rossie Edwards    3 Months

RG10, 5407, 38, 12

There's another John Edwards in Aberdare in 1871 (RG10, 5408, 96, 38) who is a butcher, in Cross St. He's born Cardiganshire c1813. he's still around in 1881

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Have now seen Margaret Jesse with mother Joan on 1881 and 1891. The censuses suggest john died 1881 - 91, as Joan in married and "butcher's wife" on 1881 but a widow on 1891

Offline bickleton56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
PLEASE contact me on (*). Need to ask some more questions regarding my Gt Grandfather JOHN EDWARDS.
Many thanks,
Graham.

(*) Moderator Comment: personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.