Author Topic: Margaret Wilson  (Read 6868 times)

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Wilson
« on: Tuesday 24 December 13 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My name is Gary in Australia & I am trying to find the parents etc for Margaret Wilson who m. William Gunn 24/8/1799 at Ayr, Ayr. Any help would be fantastic. (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have particular parish in Ayrshire, as there are 44 Margaret Wilsons born in Ayr between the years of 1770 and 1799?
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 January 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi. All I have is that she m. in Ayr, Ayrshire.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
From what you have indicated, this is the parish of Ayr, #578.  Assuming (and that is a big iff) that she stayed in the same parish for all her life, there are the following from family search:

07 May 1772 William Wilson and Margaret Hutchison
26 June 1773 same parents as above (possibly the first one died)
16 April 1776 Robert Wilson and Mary Duncan
13 November 1779 John Wilson and Margaret Graham

You can see the search I did at http://tinyurl.com/kn5456l

I am on a search for several elusive Wilson's too - specifically a Quintin Wilson from Ayrshire.  If there is a possible link, that would be super!

Scott

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott.

Thanks for that. I suppose I'll have to try & get a copy of her MC. I know William Gunn was from Thurso which doesn't help.

Cheers,

Gary.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott.

Thanks for that. I suppose I'll have to try & get a copy of her MC. I know William Gunn was from Thurso which doesn't help.

Cheers,

Gary.

Unfortunately as the date you mention for the marriage was well before Civil Registration there will be no Marriage Certificate - the OPR's often consist only of the Notice of Banns and many contain only the names of the bride & Groom. Occasionally you may get the brides father mentioned and some other information but this is rare.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Is this couple, the parents of a Lieutenant William Gunn and a Ronald Campbell Gunn? Going by a/try trees, looks to have been an army family? These trees have William and Margaret dying in far away lands. Two sons heading off to Tasmania where they lived notable lives.

Gary, I would very much think you have all this info already, but just as background to your post in case it can throw something new up:

From Ronald C Gunn's obituary on 14 Mar 1881. Launceston Examiner http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38220418. Just a small section from this article here:

....and was a native of the Cape of Good Hope, having been born at Cape Town on April 4, 1808. Mr Gunn's father was in the army, and in 1809 the subject of this notice was present with his father at the capture of the island of Bourbon, which surrendered to Admiral Rowley in that year. Whilst at Bourbon Mr Gunn's mother died. The regiment to which Mr Gunn's father belonged left Mauritius in 1814, during the short peace, en route for the West Indies ; but the war breaking out in consequence of the escape of Napoleon from Elba, the regiment was detained at the Cape of Good Hope until the peace which succeeded the battle of Waterloo, when it proceeded to Barbadoes. In 1816 the regiment was disbanded, and his father and brother (the late Lieut. William Gunn) were placed upon half pay. After a residence in Scotland of eight years, his father was appointed to the 93rd Highlanders, which regiment he joined in the West Indies in 1825.... and in 1826 his father died at Antigua. Some time afterwards, Mr R. C. Gunn received an appointment in the office of the com manding officer of Royal Engineers at Barbadoes, Colonel Sir Charles F. Smith, where he remained until the beginning of 1829, when he resigned his appointment with the view of emigrating to Tasmania, to which colony his brother William had preceded him in 1822.

Fascinating and full lives they lived  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
The OPR from Scotlandspeople doesn't give much information (see attached extract) but there is a tree on ancestry.co.uk that suggests that they had a son in Ireland.  Perhaps if you trace the descendants and try to follow the Scottish naming pattern, it may provide some clues to Margaret's mother's name if she had a daughter named after the mother's mother.
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't figure out this William's Snr's regiment to start looking for papers so thank you for that info  :)

William Snr seemed to have changed regiments, not unusual specially as he seemed to have a break in Scotland for a number of years it seems

Gary, you mentioned Thurso, not sure if you have been able to confirm this, but wondered whether this link connects to William Snr's service papers? http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C8897103

If this is the right entry for him (I have no idea really), hopefully you have further info that may help. From this entry I read it that this William was discharged from the 72nd foot reg in 1808, aged c. 39 years old. Indicating for this William a possible birth year in Thurso, Caithness of c. 1761.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk