Author Topic: Provost Charles Morland from Stranraer  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Provost Charles Morland from Stranraer
« on: Friday 27 December 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello members,
I have been researching my Morlands / McMorlands for a wee while now and learned some great facts and info with much help at times from numerous people.

I would be interested in finding more info on a distant relation of mine in history.

Charles Morland - Provost of Stranraer B 1779 - D 1847
Remains in the old parish cemetery alongside numerous Morlands (4 graves together) in what looks like a large family plot.

I have various pieces of info on Charles but I just cant seem to find any info on his service as a provost of Stranraer. I don't know what years he served and wonder if there may be any pictures of Charles?
I understand he was a banker also.

I wonder if anyone has any leads on this side of Charles Morlands life?

Will be grateful for any leads on this subject

Best wishes to all
Scott Morland
Auckland
NZ

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Provost Charles Morland from Stranraer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott

This monochrome lithographic print looks promising from here www.futuremuseum.co.uk/collections/arts-crafts/arts/art-collections/stranraer-museum/charles-morland.aspx

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
A good way to try to unravel his life may be to consider downloading his Will & Testament from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (can't tell what type of document it may be from the index....but there are 25 pages, so plenty to get through!).

Charles Morland, 2 Sept 1847, Banker in Stranrear, Wigtown Sheriff Court, ref. SC19/41/8

Monica

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 13 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Monical. U seem to have a habit of coming to my rescue Ha Ha.
I truly appreciate your interest that u show & merry christmas

I actually have his will but it is only one page that I have received.
My father goes into SP and has amassed many docs through this site. I have asked him to check the will again as maybe we have just copied the first page and did not realise there are other pages to look through... (That's why I am not a detective  ;))

Regards the picture - Yes an interesting one and I have sent an enquiry to the museum for any possible further info. They are closed till the 6th Jan so hopefully a response will be forthcoming.
Charles died in May 1847, The image was printed in August 1847. It is a good possibility Monical.

Thank u again

Best wishes
Scott

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Happy (belated) Christmas, Scott  :) Think we now move into New Year celebs  ;)

Given the prominence of Charles Morland in Stranraer's history, would think that somewhere in their archives they will have material that might be relevant to you in terms of the family.

I have read this morning some of older posts here on RC and understand that there were a few (not many though which is good) mc/Morland families that you are looking at.

Monica

PS: Never mind New Year celebs...all about a (windy and blustery) Hogmany this year  ;D

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
Thought I would update this ... May assist someone in the future researching the same family..

Provost Charles Morland who died in May 1847 ,, Much I can share of this man .. Anyway Charles left a very sizeable will and much detail listed.. The Morlands in USA coming through Provost Charles father John McMorlands brother ... A William Morland who emigrated to USA (married Anne Knight) .. Well Charles left much to this side of the Morlands... For a long time I wondered what the true relationship was of my line and understanding that Provost Charles Morland is laid to rest in the Old Parish Cemetery in Inch in among st a family plot of 4 graves .... all together.. My 5 x Grt Grandfather being Thomas Morland & his wife my 5x Grt Gran Mary Sprott are in among st ,,,, I was bewildered as to what link John McMorland D 1783 (Born abt 1702) had in this who is laid to rest in grave next door with many of his children and his wife Agnes Wallace who died in 1748..

I believe on the evidence that I have found John McMorland D 1783 was the father of my Thomas Morland who was born abt 1755 after John had lost his wife of Agnes Wallace in 1748... Who the mother is I do not know... Either he married again or in fact Thomas may have been born illegitimate and took on the name of his father

But what I found on Provost Charles Morlands sisters death Cert... Agnes Morland D 1864 (also Laid to rest in the 4 graves) .. The informant of her death was Robert Morland listed as HALF cousin ... Robert was the son of Thomas Morland B 1755 and Mary Sprott which would make Thomas (b1755) the half brother to Provost Charles Morland & Agnes Morlands father... He was John McMorland who married a Margaret Kerr ... Anyway the father of that John McMorland(B 1736) is also John McMorland (D 1783) and his mother was Agnes Wallace (D 1748)... Boy oh boy I hope u can follow this...

This vital evidence on Agnes Morland death cert links my 5 x grt Grandfather (Thomas Morland B1755) to John McMorland d1783 and suggests strongly that he was Thomas Morlands father...

Further to this I managed to obtain through Harvard University on letters & records of the Gray & Carter families who linked to the Morlands in there early history in USA... A letter sent to Ann Augusta Gray (daughter to Ann Knight Morland) from Provost Charles Morlands Trustees in Stranraer advising of aspects of Charles Morlands Will and monies coming to her but also advising of a link to my 4x grt Grandfather and his siblings (Children of Thomas Morland & Mary Sprott) John Morland (my 4 x Grt Grandfather) his sister Sarah Morland & brothers Thomas & Robert Morland (remember Robert was the informant of Agnes Morlands death as HALF cousin).. In the letter it made reference to the sum of 200 pounds each being left  to go to John Morland & sister Sarah Morland .... To equal property that had been gifted to siblings Thomas & Robert Morland from Provost Charles Morlands during his lifetime.... Another clue that the family were related ...

The biggest find I would suggest is the death cert for Agnes Morland D 1864 and informant being HALF cousin ....

For the record, John McMorland Born abt 1702 fought in the War of the Austrian Succession 1740 - 1748 era .. A Calvary Officer under the command of the Earl of Stair...

All the best guys
Scott Morland
NZ