Author Topic: (www) or Where Went the Wilsons (of Chirton )  (Read 32428 times)

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (www) or Where Went the Wilsons (of Chirton )
« Reply #144 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have typed  married  Thomas Legg

The marriage was Sep 3rd 1889

Awake now after that typo
Taffie

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 09 October 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Westoe and Taffie 01

Puzzle then - can we assume that Emily Miller b. 1867 ( L.T.T.E.W's grand daughter ) is the same Emily who married Thomas Legg in 1889, and lost him a year later ?

Sorry for the pun, but we could be 'on the second Leg of the story' as her mother's younger brother
James Wilson had in 1870 married a certain Margaret Ann Legg and by 1901 they were living in South Shields.

Could well fit into the - married lady with no children, living on her own in 1911 and using her maiden name?

Me thinks will have to ask TRINI for help on this one please.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 10 October 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Emily (Miller) Legg is shown in an online tree as born Q4 1867 Tynemouth, dying Q3 1913 South Shields. Apparently no children.

But the Thomas Legg that she is shown as married to is the *son* of the Thomas Legg who died in 1890.

The *son* Thomas is shown as being born 11 Feb. 1864 South Shields and dying March 1934 South Shields. That makes him a more appropriate age to be your Emily's husband. So .... in spite of coincidence of also being married 21 years, this is not the same Emily Miller that you found.

In 1911 they are at 89 Marshall Wallis Road, South Shields. Thomas is a plater in a shipyard.

Cheers,
Westoe

P.S. That street name is nigglingly familliar. Did you have anyone else living there? Or am I thinking of another correspondent on another forum?

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Thanks for the 'Goodies' - and have redone my write -up ! (Happy smile) your memory is good, yes, in fact next door at 91 M.W.R is James Wilson who was married to Margaret Ann Legg ( He was the younger brother of Thomasine( Wilson) Miller ) and down or up the road at 130 lived Thomas Goodsir ( son of our Captain David) - ALL WORKING AT READHEADS ?? - did ask for look -up on this one, but no takers.
On your PM - Aaron's children's sound very interesting - hope you can get contact with that site.

Best

John

p.s. Will PM later - have roofer in at moment so need to keep an eye on him.
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Hurrah! I'm beginning to think that we can now move this Emily Miller from "possible" to "probable". I'll try to send you some "stuff" overnight.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Re post 139, concerning L.T.T.E.W's Brother - Thomas Ellington and Crews list held at Southampton Archive, have just heard back for them, and on the list for 'Golden Sea' (that they have Dec 1875 -1877) he does not appear.

For general interest - was highly impressed with their efficiency, and willingness to  search- and no charge- a breath of fresh air - like Rootschat.

Best

John

Offline Della1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 22 October 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi John,  My G Grandmother was Thomasina Miller she married Aaron Robinson in about 1892.  I do not know a lot about her ancestors but I can go a fair way into her descendants.

Any information you can fill in for me would be a great help, likewise if there is anything you would like to know about her descendants just drop me a message

Thanks xx

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Thursday 22 October 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Della

A miserable wet day here - so you are the sunshine that made my day, thanks for contacting.

Briefly can get you back to Lympstone (nr Exmouth in Devon) where Tammy ( Thomasin ) Warren born in 1782 at Withycombe Raleigh married on the 25th Feb 1801 Peter Tillman( a Yeoman Farmer, born 1768) - my 3x Great Grandfather.

The name Thomasin/Thomasine/Thomasina has been passed from mother to daughter for the last 200 years as far as I can see, and these Ladies have a very interesting tale to tell - First, I think, might be worth a look at my post "Tammy married her daughter off - Ellington" on 'Durham Forum', if you go to the end first ( to save the blow by blow & and my rambling on ) you will see a summary, and we can take it from there, and I will try and fill in where you need, if that is okay with you.

A point - on PM you cannot send attachments - so if you wish send me a PM with your e mail address to make things easier.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Thursday 22 October 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Della,

Welcome to RootsChat. You'll need to make one more post (for a total of 3) before you can use the PM (Personal/Private Messaging feature).

Cheers,
Westoe