Author Topic: (www) or Where Went the Wilsons (of Chirton )  (Read 32430 times)

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Re: (www) or Where Went the Wilsons (of Chirton )
« Reply #99 on: Monday 29 June 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
North Shields, John.

Glad you had a good time.  You'll have to come for a longer visit next time  ;)

Regards,

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
To any remaining of this particular Wilson family.

Having found the Grave number of Lavinia Wilson ( from Chirton ) I contacted the Bereavement Adviser, who sent the following reply

Thank you for your recent enquiry.
Please find attached a plan of Preston Cemetery. I have also marked on the approximate location of the grave, however, the grave is unpurchased and therefore has no memorial stone on so may prove difficult to find.
It is possible to have the grave marked with a small wooden marker if you are able to let us know when you plan on visiting Preston Cemetery

Which they put into action, explaining that it was in a general plot with few remaining gravestones, where as part of 'The eco thingy' they were letting the grass grow, but would also make a clearing for.
If the photos will download for me then here is the grave, and a view of the chapel as taken from the grave.

If any relatives should be around please contact  by PM

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Not wishing to strain my poor old steam computer in this 36° of heat.

Here I hope is the chapel.

Again there is just no way that you can surpass North Tyneside For service - thank you all very much.

I have checked our records.  Lavinia Wilson wife of Joseph  is buried in Preston Cemetery in North Shields. She was buried on 24th November 1886 and died in Tynemouth Workhouse.

The grave number is 6517.
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Still on old machine to download photos ( as I know how it sometimes works, am still trying to puzzle out my new birthday computer, but I eventually get there.

Yes Trini that chair looks the right size for me, I hope one day to come up again, but being now just over 80 am feeling the strain (and cost) of travel, but felt that I had to come up there while chance existed.

Found more of the Wilson family and as soon as I get rid of this Bronchitis, and the heat outside goes down - will put all on this post.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 11 July 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

If you are in the mood, and have the time (Smile). Maybe you could help with the Wilsons ( with some salty tales).
As having had time to reread, I find that not only did L.T.T.E.W. marry a Mariner - Joseph b. 1806, in Cumberland, but their first son Joseph b. 1842 in Spittal -also went to sea, was married to Mary Emmerson in 1866 and was still shown on the 1871 as a Mariner, though later like Dad he became a painter, but back to sea by the 1891.

So that no one could become bored - Joseph Jnr's sister Thomasine b. 1847 in 1865 marries
John Miller  b. 1844 -another Mariner in 1871 they were living in Stephenson Street Tynemouth,  it appears most of their children were born and registered in North Shields, though, by 1881 they lived in 28,Salem Street, Westoe ( next to  one of yours?).
1891 Still in Westoe, new address 71 Savilla Street.

Sure there is more, but enough for now ??

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 11 July 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
Well starting with the last first, with my fuzzy logic, well dazed after searching newspapers- yes there were a lot of John Millers, around at that time, and am sure there still are.

Thought I was on to something when  I came across birth entry for a daughter to  Captain John Miller of Frederick Street South Shields in 1872 which was the year that our two gave birth to their Thomasine - but quarter on family search did not agree.

Found a Captain in 1871 of a Steam tug ' Royal Arch' and in 1887 Master of a steam Trawler ' Norman Prince' might be him, or could he be the Fireman, who by 1890 became Chief Engineer or one of the often drunken mariners, had up by the courts. Also several deep sea captains - right stop for today still too hot here.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 12 July 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Seems a small world, even in those days ! Don't know if you can remember from "Tammy married her daughter orf" post on Durham, but our David Goodsir ( whose sea trips were so interesting) had a son, name of Thomas, who married Septina Ruth, who in 1911 lived at 130 Marshal Wallis road South Shields, and their son David Charles Goodsir, lived in No. 70 same road.

Uhm, says Westoe, poor old man must be off rocker, what has this to do with the Wilsons ?

Well you see James Wilson ( L.T.T.E.W's son) about the same age as above mentioned Thomas, lived in 1911 at No. 91 Marshal Wallis Road - so did they all work at Readheads Shipyard - I wonder
and are there any existing records at that time, which would also include James's 17year old son, working as a Plumber.

Best

John

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
If you think I could be of help, just let me know :)

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 13 July 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trini

Very much appreciated, and yes please, if you have the time, as in middle of France, not a lot of facilities for this work. Problem for me, is not working back ( though past 1700 is difficult as concerns Devon records, where a lot destroyed by bombing in WWII ) but forward after 1911, am a bit lost.

I would like to take L.T.T.E.W.'s children and expand on what we have so far.

Starting with Joseph, who married a lass from Wallsend, might be of interest to your project ?

Best

John