Author Topic: Richards of Sardis and Burton  (Read 6956 times)

Offline MikePD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Richards of Sardis and Burton
« on: Friday 27 December 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just started to seriously research the Pembrokeshire branch of my family tree so I am starting this thread hoping that someone else shares my interest in the family. My 2x Gt Grand Father Thomas Richards in 1861 was living in Stoney Glade, Sardis, Burton with his wife Elizabeth nee Lloyd and his 6 children. His occupation was a Dockyard labourer so it was a long daily trip down to Buton Ferry and across the haven.
Silburn
Smeathman
Bolleter
Oley of Shotley Bridge
Medwell
Fothergill
Beane of Banbury
Walter William Wyatt of Oxford
9th (East Norfolk) Regiment of Foot

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Richards of Sardis and Burton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I presume this is Thomas Richards who in 1861 is aged 36 years born at Burton and living with his wife Elizabeth Richards.
I note the baptism of a Thomas Richards at Burton on the 07th Dec 1823 the son of William & Martha Richards. A William Richards had married a Martha Jenkins at Burton on the 10th Oct 1819.
1841 William Martha and children among them Thomas reside in Burton Village. By the mid 19th William & Martha Farm at Burton whilst Thomas is possibly up the line in Cardiff.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline MikePD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying and the information.
Yes that is him. I'm his descendant through his daughter Anne Maria. She dropped the Anne part of her name after 1861, and in all certificates and Census she is just Maria, which has made the job of tracing her back a bit more difficult. But the certificates show her father as Thomas and place of birth as Sardis and investing in the other Maria birth certificates of around her birth date have eliminated them.

Maria married Benjamin Brown, a soldier from the 9th Regiment of foot (East Norfolks) in 1874. He demobbed and stayed in PD, and after his death a decade later she married William Henry Jones, a shoemaker, although I can find no official record of this marriage.

I have a few dozen matches of baptisms and marriages from the Burton Parish records (from FindMyPast) for the Richards but haven't worked through them yet

There are 2 other Richard families in Burton in 1861 besides mine. Firstly, William Richards, 69, a Sawyer, born Llanstadwell and his wife Mary, 74, a Burton girl, living at Nash Mill with their grand children William and Annie Gunter and their son William. And  secondly the ones you mentioned, William Richards, 64, Farmer of 30 acres and his wife Martha, 67, both born Burton together with some of their children, Jenkins in laws, and nieces from the Williams family.

Thanks and Regards
Mike
Silburn
Smeathman
Bolleter
Oley of Shotley Bridge
Medwell
Fothergill
Beane of Banbury

Offline NThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have just started to seriously research the Pembrokeshire branch of my family tree so I am starting this thread hoping that someone else shares my interest in the family. My 2x Gt Grand Father Thomas Richards in 1861 was living in Stoney Glade, Sardis, Burton with his wife Elizabeth nee Lloyd and his 6 children. His occupation was a Dockyard labourer so it was a long daily trip down to Buton Ferry and across the haven.

Are you sure the address is Stoney Glade? I ask only because there is an area known as Stony Slad or Stony Slade at the bottom of the lane below Sardis Baptist Chapel.

Offline MikePD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the reply and my apologies for the mistake. It is Stony Slade. Thomas Richards was living there in 1861 and through to at least 1891.  During  his time there he had various occupations; as a labourer in the Dockyard and on the land;  two marriages and at least seven children at the last count.

Mike
Silburn
Smeathman
Bolleter
Oley of Shotley Bridge
Medwell
Fothergill
Beane of Banbury

Offline Steve jr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike, My name is Steve Richards. My great grandfather was William Richards of Stony Slade, his father was Thomas Richards of Stony Slade (1861). His sister was Anne Maria Richards. William was married to Fanny Barrah who died during or just after childbirth in 1896. He then married his housekeeper Florence Roberts. He had 5 boys in total and my grandfather was George Bertie Richards. William moved the family to Swansea in the late 1920' s, I believe. My father can remember visiting 1 Golden Hill in Pembroke as a young boy and believes there was some connection to the farm opposite. I have quite a lot of information on the family if you are interested in seeing it. I now live overlooking the old farm across the valley.
Regards
Steve

Offline MikePD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve, thanks for contacting me. My Great Grand Mother was Ann Maria Richards, (she seems to have dropped the Ann and just used Maria in adult life).  I traced her back to living in Stoney Slade as Ann Maria in the 1861 census with her parents Thomas and Elizabeth. Just being known as Maria and not Ann Maria did give me some doubts but her marriage certificate has Thomas Richards as her father and in some Census her birthplace as Sardis. I have checked the birth certificates of the other Maria Richards that were born in Pembrokeshire around the right time and none match. So Ann Maria Richards birth certificate has her born in Southland 26 Feb 1855. So I firmly believe I have the right one.

She married, Benjamin Brown, a private from the 9th Regiment of foot (East Norfolks) in 1874 and later that year he left the army and stayed in PD. They had two children before his early death in 1886. She remarried (However I cannot find a marriage certificate for the claimed event) to William Jones, shoemaker, who later had the shoe shop at the bottom of (7) Meyrick Street and had five more children.

You will know a great deal more about the family than me and yes I am interested.

I'll PM my email

Regards
Mike Silburn
Silburn
Smeathman
Bolleter
Oley of Shotley Bridge
Medwell
Fothergill
Beane of Banbury

Offline Steve jr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mike I've sent you an email.
Steve

Offline bennoggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon Steve,
Are you still researching Richards of Burton area? If so we may cross lines somewhere. I am also researching family of same name in same area but slightly different results and matches.
My lines are David Richards 1850 Llanstadwell, son of Thomas 1823 of Burton, a Shipwright in 1861 census residing in Trafalgar Cottages, Llanstadwell. His wife is confirmed from this as Esther John as her mother is also living with them. Then on to Burton where I linked him as son of William & Martha bapt. 1823.
Do we share history somewhere?
Regards, Chris