Author Topic: Hudson 's in the mid 1800's  (Read 12699 times)

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hudson 's in the mid 1800's
« on: Saturday 28 December 13 03:30 GMT (UK) »
To my great delight I found I have both maternal and paternal Manx ancestors. The paternal side is limited to my g.grandfather and mother coming to the  IoM  in about 1878 or so.All their 6 children were born here,one daughter, Emily b. 23 April 1884 is my grandmother. The family returned to England in time for the 1901 census. On the maternal side, are the Hudson's. My grandfather was born in Liverpool but his parents were John Hudson and Margaret Stevens. They were married in the Parish Church of German on May 15 1862. According to the record of marriage, John
s father was also John and he was a Farrier, Margaret  was from Alnwick Northumberland and her father was a mason. At the time of the marriage Margaret and I presume her father, lived in Ballaquane. I cannot with any certainty go back further as there were so many Hudson's in the south of the Island around that time, I think John's mother could have been a Jane Kelly.
I would be very grateful for help in tracing "my" Hudson's back as far as possible.

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson 's in the mid 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:34 GMT (UK) »
the minor detail of the approx dob of John would help - I presume you can find him in some census
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
When I started I did pore over the census but there were so many Hudson's all with the same names I gave up. I tried working backwards from the family bible, and my g.grand-father John Hudson and the 1881 census for Liverpool where they lived. There it says he was born in 1840 in Castletown. After reviewing all the info I have, it now seems that that and the marriage cert. are the only really safe dates I have. Even the origins of the bride and her Dad are looking decidedly iffy!! Don't ask!!!

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
try John s/o John Hutchins(also Hudson in earlier bapts) and probably Jane Brew - is an extracted record for baptism in Castletown 18380702 but I couldn't find it under this date when I looked at original register so suspect it was a later 'presented to congrgation' post 1841 which mentioned the private baptism date and the IGI reindexed under that date - maybe try www.imuseum.im (I'll see if I did photo some later pages of reg but suspect not judging from my notes)
Father John was a tanner and m Jane Brew  Santan 18230612

how old was wife ? - any age at death noted ?

ETA try Elizabeth Margt Stephen bapt German 18400823 (Manx usually used 2nd baptismal name whereas officials recorded by 1st - adds to general confusion and problems by those unfamiliar with Manx records) - father Wm was an ag lab(at Cronk dhoo in 1841) probably born Jurby - mother Elizth Kellly tho I noted I hadn't located a marriage

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
There it says he was born in 1840 in Castletown. After reviewing all the info I have, it now seems that that and the marriage cert. are the only really safe dates I have. 

Ages on census are not always correct - you really need the birth cert to confirm d.o.b.

This looks a strong possiblity for John in 1871
97 Overbury St Liverpool Lancs
John Hudson Jead M 32 Joiner Castleton I.o.m.
Margaret wife 29 Newcastle Northumberland
Catherine E daughter 7 Liverpool Lancs
John T son 5 Liverpool
Charles W son 3 Liverpool
Margaret daughter 9mths Liverpool
RG10 3843 8 9

Possibility for John in 1851
92 Malew St Castleton Isle of Man
John Hudson Head M 53 Tanner & Leather Cutter Castleton I.o.m.
Jane wife 48 St Ann
George son 19 Blacksmith's app Castleton
Mary A daughter 16 Castleton
John son 12 Castleton
Jane 8 Castleton
Robert son 5 Castleton
HO107 2526 147 31

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
there are NO manx birth certs pre 1877 except for a very few who bothered to get a civil doc post 1847 - baptisms are all you get (likewise no civil marrs)
John a joiner is still with fam in Castletown in 61

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 December 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
do you sometimes get d.o.b. on baptisms?/

this looks like the family in 1871 - Jane now a widow
67 Malew St Castleton Isle of Man
Jane Hudson Head widow 58 Leather Dealer
George son U 30 Ironmonger
Mary A daughter U 28 Dressmaker
Jane daughter U 24 Milliner
Robert son U 22 Tanner
all b Castleton
RG10 5777 194 13

and in 1891 it seems the siblings are together
50 Malew St Castleton
William Hudson Head M 54 Furniture Dealer
George brother U 52 Tinsmith & Ironmonger
Mary A sister U 50 Shopwoman (boots & shoes)
Jane sister U 46 Shopwoman (Boots & shoes)
Robert brother U 44 Farrier Leather dealer
all b Castleton
RG12 4691 11 15

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 December 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
do you sometimes get d.o.b. on baptisms? yes but rare and general in early regs only for children of vicar who in a couple of case noted the actual hour (+ phase of the moon!)
any way looks as tho John is sorted out - in 61 census father John noted as born Patrick in 51 the birth parish was overwritten - could be Rus could be Cas

in 61 the visitor Esther Quine is d/o Wm Quine + Elizth Brew who looks to be sister of Jane Brew both d/o Wm Brew + mary Quirk of Ballagick - the Brews of Santan have been covered on http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl - and I have detailed land records on my MNB CD (see www.manxnotebook.com) can possibly take them back to 1590

Online Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 December 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
the MI in Malew (Glebe yard plot A5 + 6  is
n memory of / JOHN HUDSON / Tanner of Castletown   who departed this life / February 12th 1867 / in  the 69th year of his age / The Righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance-/ Psalm CX11.6 /  Also in affectionate remembrance of JANE  (BREW) / wife of the above-named / John  Hudson / Born February 25th 1801 / Died March  27th 1891 / Another Gem in the Saviour's Crown /  Another Soul in Heaven. In loving memory of /  ROBERT / son of John and Jane Hudson / who  departed this life / November 17th 1900 / Aged  52 years / Blessed are the pure in heart / for  they shall see God / MATT. V. 9 / Also in  loving memory of / GEORGE / brother of the above / who died June 5th 1906 / Aged 70 years /  For ever with the Lord.

plus E 7+8 - Affectionate re: embrance / of / CHARLES HUDSON / of Castletown / who died at Liverpool / July 2nd 1877 / Aged 48 years / He is interred in this  Churchyard / Blessed are the pure in heart / for  they shall see God./Matt. V.8 / Also of / ELIZA,. HUDSON / wife of the above-named / who died at Castletown 1st Dec. 1908 / Aged 80 years.