Author Topic: Hudson 's in the mid 1800's  (Read 12683 times)

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hudson 's in the mid 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 December 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks suzard for your help and your time. I I'm fine with the Hudsons once they are in Liverpool! it's all the confusion in who went and where they came from that's so hard for me to trace!
 Frances, I went back to the copies of pages of the family bible to recheck. (Apparently it was usual for a newly married couple to be given a Bible) The handwriting is beautiful and very clear
so I read, Family Register, Parents names. John Hudson born June 28th 1838, wife Margaret Hudson born Nov.22 1841 Married May 15th 1862. John was already in Birkenhead as a joiner when he got married! Fast lad that, as he was on the 1861 Manx census!!  I did look up Ballaquane on my map and it looks as if the church they married in wasn't too far away from her home at that time. just afyi John was also a herb beer maker and I saw his recipe book many years ago but the joinery probably paid more!!
After dinner I shall follow the trail you laid. It is most kind of you to take all this trouble and time.
Just about to hit post and I see 2 more replies. Frances you are nothing short of amazing!!
Reading these entries I am even more puzzled why my g.mother didn't contact her Hudson relatives when we came in 1941 to live in Abbeylands for 3 or 4 years.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 December 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I know Ballaquane well - I live there when in Peel (tho not in the posh house! tho that is visible from my window) it's about 10min walk down hill to St Peters in centre of Peel (what is now the cathedral wasn't built then) - you can see photos etc on my website www.manxnotebook.com - if you have the correct Margt (I assume he only had the one wife) then possibly her father was associated with some rebuilding work tho Ballaquane house dates from 1890's I think - I couldn't find a Wm Steven in Peel in 61census so John must have been quick at wooing - there was a brewery on Ballaquane tho this dates somewhat earlier - also a somewhat strange E Hinton esq who built Hinton Turrets + some adjacent cottages which may be of this date
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 December 13 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been working my way through all the info but not been able to find all the refs, you gave but the ones I did find didn't match up.
After my friend sent me the copy of the marriage cert. he sent me a page from the Parish Reg. of Malew, an entry for John Hudson son of Thomas Hudson and Charlotte Cannel his wife pry? Dec 4, and underneath that Rec. Aug 16 1840.  The last partial entry reads; Edw  son of Rick Bridson See May 1848 , then a line ruled across the page and below that the date 1839. Just a couple of things don't fit eg. the Dec.4 and Thomas named as the father! What does pry mean? I see it in two other entries. I've just asked my friend to get me a copy of your CD and send it to me, that should keep me out of your hair!!
One thing I did notice and that was the very large number of HUDSON burials, are there any Hudson families  still in the IoM?
 suzard and Frances, thank you very much for all the help you have given me, it is much appreciated.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 December 13 08:19 GMT (UK) »
prv rather than pry? would be a private baptism (ie at the home of an infant not expected to live) - would be followed later (can be a couple of years later in some cases) by a 'reception into the congregation'- some vicars entered private bapts into sequence along with regular bapts - others entered the reception into congregation often but not always noting date and place of earlier private bapt

Hudson is a a fairly common name (the earlier Manx Hudgeon seems to have changed into this) tho how many are in your line is doubful

Thomas Hudson m Charlotte Cannell Santan 1838 - in 1841 + 51 ag lab at cross 4 ways (see this under gazateer on my site) some way out of Castletown - John is not with family in 1861 - in 1851 no occupation given other than ag lab for family

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 January 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Back again!  suzard I took another hard look this time at the marriage cert. for John Hudson and Margaret Stevens of Alnwick Northumberland ( this bit is in our family bible) but she was living at Ballaquane at the time of the marriage, Indeed John the father was a Tanner not Farrier. My copy was a bit faint at that part and something had settled over an r making it look like an I. So that fits in with suzards info perfectly and Frances's Jane Brew of Santan  ( so that's what St.Anne is!!) Now I've got another problem. The family on the 1851 census is nowhere to be found on the 1861 so the John I  saw on the 1861 was from another family! I took a long look at the England 1861 but no sign of him there or the rest of the family. The baptism record from Malew that my friend found for me wasn't for "my" John.  Where do I look now? The missing family in 1861 is odd don't you think?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 January 14 08:46 GMT (UK) »
what family?
John Hudson is in Castletown in 61 with his fam
if you mean Stevens then living near Scottish border and obviously prepapred to move for work have you tried Scotland or even Ireland

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 January 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear me, what a pest I am to be sure, I apologise and blame it on my inexperience.  I had managed to follow all the info posted for Hudson's and felt pretty safe with the John Hudson, Tanner,92 Malew Street Castleton in the 1851 census along with the info on the headstone in MI Malew. (Glebe yd. plot A5+6) It is this family that I cannot find in the 1861 census and apparently neither did suzard, who posted entries from the '71 and '91 census with comments. Could I ask again for the ref. for John Hudson,joiner, born/bapt.June 28 1838 in the 1861 census please?
Re the Stevens side. My 2nd cousin in Japan and I are working on that.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 January 14 18:43 GMT (UK) »
same address as 51 - Malew St dist 2 folio 31 page 100 on film 4414 - head of household John aged 63

there is an accurate (rather than the joke indices that ancestry charge for) on www.imuseum.im as well as www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/Main_Site_index.html

Offline maple4syrup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frances, found it with "Lawson", somehow I just can't manage the museum site!! Ancestry has the IOM records as you know and yes I've got a sub and as a rank amateur it's somewhere to start, but I see  how and why we go "barking up the wrong trees". Now to get your CD. Emma and I will have to explore for something like "Lawson" for Northumberland and the Stevens. Thanks again Frances  :)