Author Topic: Balsom family - Devon or possibly Cornwall up to c1840  (Read 11569 times)

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Balsom family - Devon or possibly Cornwall up to c1840
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 January 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Walter Symons married Mary Harvie 5 Apr 1779 Stoke Damerel
Walter Symons shipwright in the Yard and Mary Harvie spinster both of this parish,were married in this church by Banns this fifth day of April in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy nine.
witnesses John Harvie and Fran Dingle(best guess)
Walter was also a witness to a marriage same day of a John Easterbrook(quarreyman)
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 January 14 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, it clears up a couple of things for me.   I had wondered which spelling re Harvie/Harvey to be correct.  At least I know which variation was in use at the time.
Having a maiden name for Mary Ann Balsom's mother is a bonus as well, makes it possible to sneak back another generation.   Thank you for your time.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline JEANNIE JACKSON

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 June 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
Regarding your enquiry about members of the Balson family of Devon (mistakenly called Balsom sometimes); my grandmother was BEATRICE LOUISE BALSON who married GEORGE McDONOUGH in Stoke Damerel in the early 1900s.  They had 5 children, Olive, Beatrice, George (my father), Donald and Ruby. She died of cancer in 1925 and I have tried, without any success, to trace her roots before she married.  Her husband, my grandfather George, was born in Stoke Damerel, his father was James McDonough and his mother Deborah Alice.  Is this of any help to you?
Jeannie

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome Jeannie  :)

You would probably have done better to start your own thread unless you are sure your people are related, but since we are here ...

Do you have your grandparents' marriage certificate? It should tell you her age and her father's name and occupation. You can find the registration details at FreeBMD

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and order the certificate from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The marriage was in 1906 in Devonport registration district and her surname has been transcribed both ways, with 'm' and 'n'.

Her birth is also easily found there: 1883 in Stoke Damerel registration district. The certificate would give both her parents' names.

In 1891, Anc*y.com has transcribed the surname as Belson. The household is:

William T Balson, 53, labourer
Jane Balson, 45
George H Balson,    14
Maude M Balson, 10
Beatrice Balson, 7
James Balson, 1

With that info you can find her parents' marriage at FreeBMD and I won't spoil your fun by doing it. ;)

... Oh, except that he is recorded as Balsom in the index!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Bigrigbalsom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Christopher Balsom married Ann Henly 11 Mar 1791 Combeinteignhead,
I am Chris Balsom and a direct descendent of Chris and Mary

Offline Bigrigbalsom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information, it clears up a couple of things for me.   I had wondered which spelling re Harvie/Harvey to be correct.  At least I know which variation was in use at the time.
Having a maiden name for Mary Ann Balsom's mother is a bonus as well, makes it possible to sneak back another generation.   Thank you for your time.
Abygail
I am Chris Balsom and i live in Paignton Devon and a direct descendant of Chris Balsoms family 😊

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi JEANNIE JACKSON,

You will find the blue reply button just below this message. On my screen it is directly below the word "button" in my last sentence ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk