Author Topic: Jane Bellew of St Giles  (Read 954 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Jane Bellew of St Giles
« on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon

I’m trying to trace the origins of my 3rd great-grandmother, Jane Bellew. According to the census’, she was born c.1817 in the St Giles area of London.

She married my 3rd great-grandfather, William Canaford Lockyer, in 1845 at St John, Westminster. She lists her father as Patrick Bellew, an orange merchant

Over the years, I’ve been in contact with other descendants of this family, and whilst we’ve made progress on William’s side, we haven’t been able to trace any of Jane’s family

Any records that have been found do not complement one another as you will see:

CENSUS: In the 1841 census, there is a Jane Bellow aged 30 (c.1811) living in Cold Bath Square, Clerkenwell. With her is another Jane Bellow aged 60 ( c.1781). Both are listed as being born in the county. No professions are listed.

BAPTISM: There is a Jane Bellew (1813) and a Benjamin Bellew (1816) baptised at St Martin in the Fields, children of Esther Bellew, pauper of a workhouse (presumably of the same name)

Searches for Patrick*, Esther, Benjamin or the older Jane in the later census’ or marriage/death indexes have been unsuccessful.

*There is a Patrick Bellew who had several children about ten years after Jane’s birth, but he is listed as a clerk and I have been unable to link Jane to that family

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which path to investigate next?

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Bellew of St Giles
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly very common for an illegitimate person to make up a father's name on a marriage certificate, so that baptism looks a possibility. Unfortunately Bellew could easily be transcribed as Bailey/Bayley which are common.

Someone else seems to be after the same family:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Middlesex_County_UK/2006-08/1156438008
the family rumour is that he was Irish.

Although I am suspicious of the marriage certificate entry, there is at least a Patrick Bellew in London claimed by others at about the same time:

George Bellew (bc1830; m 1854) and Catherine Bellew (bc1830; m 1847 Albert Altochul/Altuchl) both claim to have been born in Spitalfields to Patrick Bellew, clerk.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Bellew of St Giles - COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Jane's baptism record has been found.

For those also researching her, she was baptised as Roman Catholic on 11 Feb 1816 to Patrick Bellew and Anna Pippard/Peppard at St Patrick, Soho Square. Her parents were married in Ireland proving there was an Irish link as per the above rumour.