Author Topic: Forsyths at Forres  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Dashboard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forsyths at Forres
« on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Doing some research into Forsyths who lived in the Forres area c 1665-1730. I have one William Forsyth as being baptised at 'Kirktoun in Alves'. Can anyone with local knowledge tell me if there was actually a Kirktoun(e) in Alves? There seems to be/have been one on the coast. Have looked on the old maps at the NLS site but it's not that clear.

Very many thanks.

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Forsyths at Forres
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
There are Kirkton Cottages in Alves. http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  put in the co-ords 313534  862758.

A wee bit further north, Kirkton,  co-ords  313528  862764.

Steven

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Probably noted as Kirkton. North of the Crook of Alves, the church and the manse, West of Inchtelly, South East of Kirkhill, East of Wester Alves.

Regards

Malky

Offline Dashboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all - that is most helpful!

My first post - can't believe you guys are so quick!

Thanks again.

Offline Hulinea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am wondering if Forsyths were around Elgin/Rothes/forres in and around 1810 onwards.   My family line is Jean Leslie who had a son, John Leslie Douglas who emigrated to Aus in the late 1830s.  He married Ellen/Hellen Forsyth in Sydney in dec 1838.  She was the only Forsyth on the ship and was stated as the daughter of Synclair and Catherine Forsyth and was from Minard, Argyleshire.  However, I have not been able to find any trace.  She was listed as a dressmaker and house servant .maybe she knew John Leslie Douglas from the Rothes/Elgin area?  Jean Leslie was married twice and she herself emigrated to Aus after the death of her second husband John Roy who died in 1838.   We will be visiting Scotland in August so hope to ttrace what I can before then!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
John Douglas born to John Douglas and Jean Leslie, 25 April 1807, Rothes, Moray, Scotland.

The only other thing that I am finding is John Forsythe, 2nd March 1820, Glassary, Argyll, to Sinclair Forsythe and Catherine McKay. (Probably the brother of Hellen)

Regards

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
John Leslie Douglas travelled on the 'Lady Kennaway' with his half-sisters Jean and Janet Roy. Helen Forsyth travelled on the same ship. I have always assumed that John and Helen met on board and were married shortly after they arrived in Australia?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
'Kirktoun in Alves'. Can anyone with local knowledge tell me if there was actually a Kirktoun(e) in Alves?
Bit late, but some general info. Just about every rural parish in Scotland has a Kirkto(u)n. It is the name commonly applied to the cluster of houses around the kirk. So find the kirk on a map and you have found the kirkton of that parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 September 15 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have a Marjorie Forsyth born in Rafford about 1744, in Rafford, her father, I believe was called William.  I haven't done much work on this branch yet.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others