Author Topic: JOLLY - North East Scotland  (Read 5958 times)

Offline berryman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOLLY - North East Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi jen
Wondering if you've found any info on the marriage of David Jolly b 1809 aberlemno, angus- son of Thomas Jolly/ Elizabeth Mary Ferrier.  I have been on scots people and looked at all OPR & Stat marriages and can't confirm either.

Also in your tree William Jolly married Ann Jolly 1801 logie pert.  Do you know Ann's parents?
thanks
regards
Keira
Berryman
Bowles
Shea
Arnold

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Keira,
Ann Jolly who married William Jolly in 1801 Logie Pert are part of my (very stuttering....) one name study - not sure if/how they link to me. Sorry but I've nothing on Ann.

David son of Thomas born 1809...can't account for him...he's not the David Jolly who died in 1881 age 75 married to Jane Rennie as his father was a Charles Jolly. He could have died young? Seems a very large gap between David and the birth of his sister Ann?

There is a David Jolly living with a Mary (possibly Robertson) in 1841 - by 1851 no sign of either but young Thomas looks to be living with his grandmother in St Vigeans parish - speculation though.

Keira, I think I need to bite the bullet and get some software to help with these Jolly's.

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 July 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
My 3x great-grandmother Elizabeth Valentine b. 1830, Marykirk, had an illegitimate child with a John Jolly. The child was David Jolly b.1849 Marykirk. I don't have any more details on these Jollys unfortunately as they aren't a direct line for me.  Elizabeth married a James Davidson Ewan in 1854, St Cyrus.

Jill
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 July 17 02:27 BST (UK) »
My 3x great-grandmother Elizabeth Valentine b. 1830, Marykirk, had an illegitimate child with a John Jolly. The child was David Jolly b.1849 Marykirk.

Did the baptism state where John Jolly was from, usually written 'of.....'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
I kept an eye on Elizabeth's son as he was born around the same time as David Jolly to Diana Rae and David Jolly. With help on Rootschat I finally found 'my' David Jolly in England - he named his daughter Diana Reay Jolly which was very helpful of him ;) I have the orginal 51 census for the 2 year old David in case you don't already have a copy. Did your David revert to Valentine? I've not got a copy of his death certifcate and I thought I had every David Jolly who died in Scotland up to the 50 year cut off...not like I'm obsessive or anything ;)
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
My 3x great-grandmother Elizabeth Valentine b. 1830, Marykirk, had an illegitimate child with a John Jolly. The child was David Jolly b.1849 Marykirk.

Did the baptism state where John Jolly was from, usually written 'of.....'?

Annie

I haven't actually seen the baptism record yet, I've just gone off various census and the SP index which names Elizabeth also. I have mainly been getting records up for my direct lines and only now beginning to delve into the various branches.

It will be something I plan to get the next time I get SP credits which will be after this coming Friday.  :)

Jill.

Hi Jill,
I kept an eye on Elizabeth's son as he was born around the same time as David Jolly to Diana Rae and David Jolly. With help on Rootschat I finally found 'my' David Jolly in England - he named his daughter Diana Reay Jolly which was very helpful of him ;) I have the orginal 51 census for the 2 year old David in case you don't already have a copy. Did your David revert to Valentine? I've not got a copy of his death certifcate and I thought I had every David Jolly who died in Scotland up to the 50 year cut off...not like I'm obsessive or anything ;)
Jen

Hi Jen,

Thanks for this info. Is your David Jolly the David that married an Ann Morrison? I wasn't sure if this was 'my' David or not. There is a census record for 1891 in Liverpool for David Jolly in Mount Pleasant?

I have seen a transcription of the 1851 census where 2 year old David is living with his grandmother and his mother, but haven't seen the original. I haven't done much more research into him at present so I'm not sure if he reverted to Valentine but it will be something I'm looking at starting to solve from now.

Many thanks,

Jill.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie