Author Topic: passenger lists to from Liverpool /New York 1915  (Read 1611 times)

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
passenger lists to from Liverpool /New York 1915
« on: Sunday 29 December 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John. Clarke born 1860 who is supposed to have come to Liverpool from US early in WW1 but had to return there on the same ship ? due to ill health.
On the New York leaving Liverpool on Jan 17 1915 there is a Clarke shown on the Recapitulation list. What is this ? There are 13 people on it and checking the ships manifest most of them say ''did not board'
A John Clarke is on board,although a bit younger ,with a doctor's certificate for a hernia. Would that stop him disembarking in Liverpool?
He was stopped by US immigration but only for a day for a Special enquiry,which says cause of detention Ipc cert. Sec'y gved ?
Does anybody know what this means ?
Can anybody find him on the New York leaving  New York ?
And would it be possible to find out if this sailing arrived late at Liverpool ?

John Clarke my great grandfather left his family in Rochdale in 1890s,is supposed to have returned during WW1 but as nobody met the boat was sent back to US. His wife remarried in November 1916 after being notified of his death.
I'been looking for him for years
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: passenger lists to from Liverpool /New York 1915
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 13 01:17 GMT (UK) »
LPC means likely public charge.  I think sec'y refers to secretary.  There is more information about the manifest markings for aliens that were held on this page:  http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/bsi/

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 13 01:30 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a return trip for John Clarke from Liverpool to New York on the SS New York in April 1915.  If I'm looking at the right John Clarke, he was born in Belfast and his sister was Mrs. Bell of Belfast?  There is a stamp that says he was admitted to the US.  On the second page, it says Dr. cert. hernia left.  It also says that John was previously in New York from 1888 from 1915. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 01:36 GMT (UK) »
On the New York City death index at www.italiangen.org, there is an entry for John Clarke, age 68, who died 5 Nov. 1916 in Kings County.  There are various John Clarks who also died in that time frame and John's address on the 1915 passenger list had him living in Manhattan, but that seems to be the closest entry with the correct spelling of the surname and the age. 

Edited:  I think this might be the wrong guy, because I found an obit on www.fultonhistory.com that says he had lived in Brooklyn for 50 years and was survived by widow Bridget, 3 sons, and 3 daughters.  One of the sons was a priest in Pennsylvania. 

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.I have seen the info on the return part of the journey on the Ellis island site and your first link explains that the detention was because of his medical condition.
I need to find out if he sailed from New York on the same ship.
He was English but he could have had a married sister in Belfast so I will try to check that out.
I know that my grandma went to meet his ship at Liverpool but it was late arriving and she could not afford to return the next day.He is supposed to have been too ill to disembark.
However I haven't found him as a passenger.
Family myth says he was buried in Boston.I believe that's where he first went.He's not on the deaths there in 1915 and I can't find him on images of Boston city deaths for 1916.
He'd been gone for more than 20 years so its quite possible he had an American family.
Or his wife could have made up the story of his death when she got remarried.
Sue

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 December 13 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you have your John on any census records in the UK?  Do you have a birth or marriage record for him?

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 December 13 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have him christened on 11 Dec 1859 at Langar cum Barnstone, Nottingham ,England.
With his parents Thomas and Eliza Clarke in 1861 and siblings Henry 11,Jane 9,Eliza 7 ,Thomas 7, William 5,Maria 3 (plus John 1). All children born Barnston ,Notts
In 1861 there are just Eliza age 30 with John 11 and Robert 9 .
I can't find John in 1881.
In  1881 can't find him but in 1885 he marries in Rochdale Lancashire with sister Maria as a witness. She is in Newhey  Rochdale in 1881 as a servant living close to Mary Ann Howarth his future wife .
In 1891 he is in Rochdale with his wife and 2 children Alice and Robert.
By 1895 my grandma Alice was caught for non attendance at school and sent away till 16 to an Industrial School . The magistrates
 report says that the mother is industrious and hard working but her husband has deserted the family and is thought to be in America

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 January 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
A postscript.
I finally found John Clarke's death 19 December 1916 in Lawrence Mass in the TB hospital where he had been for 6 weeks. I believe he was probably prevented from boarding his intended ship which must have been in the summer of 1916 as daughter Alice was pregnant with Clifford born in late October. Sue

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast