Author Topic: 1841 census- Summerfield  (Read 4404 times)

Offline lfbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census- Summerfield
« on: Sunday 19 June 05 17:52 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate a 1841 census lookup for Moses Summerfield. He lived in the Eastcotts Parish area in the 1851 census. Moses was listed as 38 years of age and his wife Hannah was also 38 in the 1851 census. If this census is available, sure would like to know the people living with them.
Thank you in advance.
lfbarton
White, Summerfield, Riseley, Musick, Mastin

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census- Summerfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
1851 HO107/1752 page11
township of Eastcott, village of Cotton End
Moses Summerfield head marr 39 farm lab born Cotton End(definitely 39 not 38)
Hannah Summerfield wife 38 lace maker b Cotton End
Susanna Summerfield dau unmarr 18 lace maker b Cotton End
William Summerfield son 15 farm lab b Cotton End
Mary Ann Summerfield dau 11 lace maker b Cotton End
Sarah Summerfield dau 8 lace maker b Cotton End

1841 HO107/009/4 folio 3B

Moses Summerfield  25 ag lab
Hannah Summerfield 25
Susan Summerfield  7
William Summerfield 5
Mary Ann Summerfield 1
All born in Beds

There are Summerfields in the 1782 Cardington census published by the Beds Historical Record Society - let me know if you need details if you know Moses' parents

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline lfbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
David,
Thank you for your help. I don't know the parents of Moses Summerfield. Sure would like to find them and his siblings. His wife is Hannah Mastin. They were married in 1832. Don't know her parents either. Thank you for your quick reply.
lfbarton

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
In 1782 there were 2 distinct Summerfield families. One lived in Cardington village and both William b 1726 and his wife Mary b 1732 were from the adjoining village of Cople.

The other family lived in the hamlet of Cotton End and were labelled in the census as Dissenters - William b 1732 and Susanna b 1728. However William was from North Crawley, Bucks whilst his wife was from Cardington.

All of their children are listed, and it seems as though Moses would have been a child of one of the children.

Cardington parish registers stop on the IGI at 1812, which is roughly when Moses was born. The question is does he appear in the post 1812 parish register, which has been filmed by the LDS so would be available from your nearest LDS Family History Centre (or Center); or was he from the dissenter family and may not have been  baptised in the established church?

One of my family names was from Cardington, a dissenter family, and it has been impossible (so far!) to trace the father with certainty - we have narrowed it down to who we believe was the father, but there is no proof. And the son was living next door to Moses Summerfield in both 1841 and 1851! There are quite a lot of families in Cotton End in 1782 marked as dissenters.

Good luck - let me know if you need full details of 1782

David

Offline lfbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 01:35 BST (UK) »
David,
Thank you again. I have learned more on Moses Summerfield from you than I have learned for years. Appreciate your help. I am wondering if the William and Susanna Summerfield might be the ones that I am looking for? Mine were in Cotton End and they were "dissenters".
Sarah Summerfield, daughter of Moses, married Ephraim White in the "Cotton End Meeting according to the Rites and ceremonies of the Independents". Sarah was also born in Cotton End.
My aunt wrote to the Bedford County Record Office and they said the Moses Summerfield family were definitely nonconformists for there are references to them in the Minute Book of Cotton End Meeting, a Baptist church.
I would appreciate it if you could send the children names  of William and Susanna.
I live in the state of Kansas in the middle of the USA. The nearest LDS Center is about one hundred miles from us. Ephraim White and Sarah Summerfield moved to this area in the late 1880's.
Thank you again.
lfbarton

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Leon

The book is The Inhabitants of Cardington in 1782 published by Beds Historical Record Society in 1973 now out of print

Of cottages numbered 23 to 40 in Cotton End only numbers 26 and 34 were not occupied by dissenters, and included the dissenting parson in no. 39:

(All BMD dates are the parish of Cardington, which includes the hamlet of Cotton End, unless otherwise stated)

Cottage no. 32
William Summerfield, labourer, age 50 born at North-Crowley Bucks (Editor’s addition: Baptised 31 Jan 1732 North Crawley Bucks; Married 26 Jul 1752 both of Cardington; Buried 3 Mar 1791; Land Tax 1783 occ £0-10s-0d)

Wife. Susanna, maiden name Redman, age 53. Born at Cardington. Spins jersey. (Ed: Bap 24 Nov 1728. Bur 7 May 1784 pauper).

Children
#1 John, a soldier age 29 (Ed: Bap 31 Dec1752)

#2 Mary. Married at Barford. Age 26(Ed: Bap 24 Nov 1754; her illeg child Mary bap 20 Jun 1779 bur 2 Jul 1780; ?mar 6 Feb 1781 6 Feb 1781 Ralph Thompson Widr)

#3 William, Married in London. Age 24 (Ed: bap 10 Apr 1757)

(Ed:Unbapt son interred at the Meeting House 19 Nov 1759)

#4 Martha servant at Brickhill age 22(Ed: bap 15 Feb 1761)

#5 Joseph, servant to Mr Cranfield, Harodine age 18 (he also appears in the book as a servant in the household of Mrs Mary Cranfield in the hamlet of what is now called Harrowden) (Ed: Bap 29 Mar 1767. Mar 8 Sep1785 Mary Head)

(Ed: Robert bap 29 Mar 1767 Burial 2 Nov 1769 given as Joseph but see #5 above)

#6 Thomas, servant to Mr Cranfield, Pastors age 13 (he also appears in the book as a servant in the household of  Richard Cranfield, in the hamlet of Pastors)

#7 Hannah. Makes lace (Ed: bap 6 May 1787 aged 14)

Hope this is useful at some point.

Regards

David

(I see that you have a fellow researcher of Moses on GenCircles - he has managed to narrow Moses' death down to "between 1846 and 1907"!!!)

Offline lfbarton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
David,
You have been a big help and I thank you. The information you have provided makes me think there is a good possibility this William and Susanna are connected to Moses. As I mentioned Sarah Summerfield married Ephraim. My White family also married into the Redman and Thompson families. Also Moses named one of his children William and one Susanna. I have a number of unanswered questions you have given me much help. Thank you.
lfbarton

Offline D_Tutty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the SUMMERFIELD family from Cople/Cardingtonton. Any contact out there?

Thanks

Doris from NZ

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doris

Do you have any specific queries on the Summerfields?  As I said ten years ago, there were two distinct Summerfield families in Cople. Which one are you looking at - the one from Cople, or the non-conformist family who were originally from North Crawley, Buckinghamshire?

David