Author Topic: William Pratt  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Pratt
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure where to post this as it is a general enquiry but will start on this board as the evidence so far relates to Middlesex.  I am sorry it is so long!

I am researching William Pratt who emigrated to New Zealand on the Indus in early 1843.  I have quite a lot of information on William in New Zealand including a book of his recollections of life in New Zealand and various press reports including an obituary. His name also appears in various articles about Christchurch because he owned Dunstable House which later became Ballantynes. 

My problem is finding out about him before he went to New Zealand.  I suspect that some of the information published about him is not based on fact.

The facts are:
He was on the Indus in 1843 and a Shipwrights apprentice
He married Sarah Fowler in 1851
He died in 1905.

Main Information from his death Certificate is:
Age at death: 82
Parents: William Pratt Clerk in Holy Orders.  Mother’s forename and maiden name blank
Born: London 62 years in NZ
Married: at age 26 in Lyttelton to Sarah Fowler
8 children living at death
Informant: His son WH Pratt of Nelson

William’s book of reminiscences does not refer to his life before he went to NZ other than that the main reason for emigrating was that the Edwards family was going to New Zealand and he was intending/hoping to marry their daughter. The Edwards family is on the Indus passenger list and the father is John Edwards a shipwright.

William’s obituary says that he was educated at a private boarding school in Durham and several other reports indicate that he was in the drapery business in England.  The latter seems to be borne out by the contents of a letter written by William in 1904, just before his death.  In this he says:

“In January 1838, at the age of 14, I was apprenticed to the drapery business – for the next six years I had to submit to the Prison like regime then prevailing in the London Drapery Shops, and have always attributed my stunted stature to that six years experience”. 

I realise this does not quite match with him leaving England in early 1843.  I have found a William Pratt, aged 20, not born in County, as a porter in the 1841 census.  He seems to be part of a large drapery business in St Pauls’s Churchyard.  Ref HO107/721/3 f14

I also contacted Durham Record office a few years ago about records of Durham School and this is an extract from their reply:

“The publication, Durham School Register to 1912, includes names of scholars up to 1912.  In 1840 the school transferred to its present site but all the records, except those that were kept by the Dean and Chapter, disappeared or were destroyed, so that no complete lists of entrants exist before that year.  The pre 1840 lists have been compiled from isolated facts and individual memories.  I am afraid a search of these lists for the 1820s and 1830s for the name William Pratt was unsuccessful.”

I have searched the apprenticeship records for the Drapers Company and several others using this site http://www.londonroll.org/search but his name does not appear.

I have not been able to find a suitable William Pratt Clerk in the 1841 census, the Clergy database http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp (I realise this is a work in progress), nor as a graduate of Cambridge or Oxford universities.

My questions are:
Can anyone enlighten me on the drapery business shown in the 1841 census – the area seems to have a large number of warehouses?
Is it likely that an apprentice draper would be a porter?
Is it likely that someone privately educated and whose father was a Vicar would be an apprentice draper or a porter?

Grateful for any suggestions as to how I can follow this up.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Pratt
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Where were the Edwards family in 1841 - London?  I don't quite see the Durham connection - why would he have been sent to school there  :-\

I imagine as an apprentice you would have many jobs and porter could be one of them but just surmising. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I thought i;d work from the father - the clerk in holy orders.

I can find a William Pratt who is ordained (in Harpley, Norfolk) - but his sons William are far too young to be yours (one born either side of 1841 census). I've had a look through the alumni of Oxford & Cambridge on ancestry and no William Pratt who fits. Crockford's Clerical directory on Ancestry desn't go back far enough to pick up the alleged father. There's also no obvious gentleman picked up in British newspaper archive searches, apart from the rector of Harpley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought the William Pratt (1829 - 1832) looked the most promising too Mabel.  :-\ (The CCEd site shows his qualifications gained at Cambridge).

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.

These are the details of the Edwards family from the Indus passenger list

George   45 Ship wright
Mary   42   
Sarah Ann 18 School Assistant
Mary   15 Servant
Lucy   13   

I started looking for them in the 1841 census before Christmas but need to check further.

I have no idea why there are reports that William went to a private school in Durham. Having said that there are reports that his son-in-law went to Rugby School  and I can find no evidence of that either.

The Norfolk vicar did seem a good possibility but he married too late to be the father of my William - unless my William was an illegitimate son I suppose!

Barbara

Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if correct or even helps but there's a George 50 Mary 48 and Lucy Edwards 10 together in 1841.  George is a shipwright.  Mary not born in county (Surrey)
Entry underneath is a John Edwards 30 shipwright.
Address Hope Place Lambeth.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millipede

Thanks for that. The ages for the parents are a bit different but that does seem to be the best fit.  I expect Sarah and Mary are working away from home.

I did find baptisms for all 3 girls in Rotherhithe and father George shown as a Ship Builder.

I will check whether there is a William Pratt in the area.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
As george and Mary Edwards appear to be in Lambeth in 1841 I thought I would also have a look for a Wiliam Pratt in that area.  I have found one in Melbourne Square aged 18 in the household of a Sarah Pratt aged 35 occupation Independent.  Both are born in county. Ref HO 107 1056/6 f 35.  No occupation is given for William.

I also found banns read at Lambeth St Mary in May 1843 for the marriage of a Sarah Ann Pratt widow to Joseph Alderman.  I cannot find a record of  the marriage taking place but a Joseph and Sarah Alderman appear together as husband and wife in 1851 living in Woolwich.  Sarah is shown as born in Devizes.  Free BMD has a death for a Sarah Ann Alderman in Marylebone in 1858 which might be her.  I was hoping that if I could find a 2nd marriage for Sarah it might provide clues as to her 1st marriage.

So I think I have 2 possibilities for William Pratt in the 1841 census now.  I think I wil try to eliminate one of them.

Any more thoughts on the other questions posed in my original  post would be very welcome.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline ShaneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Barbara I am Shane Duffy from Christchurch NZ.
Most recently I discovered in an Shakespeare's Birthday Book (once owned by Surgeon/DR Thomas Leslie Crooke 1861- 1943) he amassed some 900 autographs.
One I was looking into tonight is that of Emma Lewin (nee Pratt) April 20th 1855 ( later married Montague Lewin 1853-1931)
There is also a Lancelot Lewin June 19.
I know her parents were  William Pratt and Sarah Ann Pratt (Fowler) married in Lyttelton Canterbury NZ