Author Topic: Tobias Bauchop married Janet Vanan  (Read 28824 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tobias Bauchop married Janet Vanan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 February 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alvagirl. That's very helpful.

If I get time during the SAFHS Conference in Dunfermline, I am hoping to visit Alloa, Clackmannan and some of the other Fife locations that are part of my heritage.

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 February 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Landj, I'll be in Dunfermline too, will pm you.
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE

Offline juggernaut

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 November 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, first post new member from Australia.
Tobias Bauchop is my 6 x GG and I am excited to see some other relatives. I will check my records for any other details.

Offline The Clackmannan Person

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 17:08 GMT (UK) »
A Tobias Bachop died on 26 April 1710. The house which he built for himself bears the date 1695 and the initials of himself and his wife Margaret Lapsley. It stands in Kirkgate, Alloa. I believe he may be the father of your Tobias. Tobias the elder was a famous architect and built his own house in Kirkgate, Alloa. There is a nearby cemetery called Greenside which has been surveyed and recorded by members of the Clackmannan Field Studies Society (try Google). At that time Clackmannan was the county town so events in Alloa which later became the county town may be recorded as Clackmannan. I think there was a question of pronunciation-I would pronounce it as Bocup phonetically. I have some stuff on old Alloa but am having trouble making it small enough to upload.

The Clackmannan Person

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Your information about Tobias Bauchop (or Bachop, etc) is very interesting, Clackmannan Person, not least your pronunciation of the surname, which isn't one I've heard before.

Tobias junior was my 5x great-grandfather, and I knew that his father was Tobias, the architect and the designer /owner of Bauchop House in Alloa. But I didn't know that his wife was Margaret Lapsley or that their initials were engraved in the house. A plan I had to visit Alloa this summer and see for myself didn't come off unfortunately.

You mention that Clackmannan Field Studies Society has recorded inscriptions in Greenside cemetery. Are these pre-1855 inscriptions? I have the Scottish Genealogical Society's book of Clackmannanshire inscriptions, which includes Greenside cemetery, but they seem to be by and large after 1855 when records became mandatory by law. I was wondering if the FSS held copies for sale as they don't appear in the FSS website's list of publications - unless Memento Mori (price £0.50) is what you are meaning.

Regards
Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
This is the front of a leaflet which gives you an idea. My late mother was a member of the Field Studies and when she moved into a home I recovered a lot of local history material. Left Alloa in 1965 but had infrequent visits through work until I retired in 2004. I used to cycle all round the area as a kid. There is quite a bit about Tobias Bauchop through Google.
The Clackmannan Person

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 November 14 09:52 GMT (UK) »
www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1131313,-3.793083,3a,90y,17.14h,86.12t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sq84zOxTewxHpAkU5nPfGHQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Tobias Bauchop's house. If you swing round clockwise you see Greenside Church and cemetery. This was close to the then town centre which moved north over the centuries. If you look 90deg left you see St Mungo's Church and if you were to walk in that direction you cross 'The Wagon Road' which was a narrow gauge railway to carry coal from the mines about 4 miles away to the harbour which is about half a mile down Broad Street on the left.
The Clackmannan Person

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
It has been some four months since the last post with information about Tobias, the builder in Alloa. I've moved house in the meantime so have had other things on my mind.

The Clackmannan Person noted the death of the builder Tobias in December 1710.  Is a date for his marriage to Margaret Lapsley known?  Am I right in saying there is no record of any children?

I have mislaid a number of my files.

My thinking is  that our (me. landj and juggernaut :) ) Tobias was born to a John Bauchop (see earlier post) - despite our Tobias being born in 1709-10 just before Tobias the builder died.

That is, I'm anticipating another generation before possibly linking to fame. :) :) :)

Reiver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
You're back into the OPR's. There has been a church in Alloa for 400 years so maybe something. Two suggestions 1) contact the Central Scotland Family History Society (http://www.csfhs.org.uk/contact.htm) who may be able to help. 2) Tobias Bauchop was a big wheel back in the day and I imagine his life is documented somewhere its just finding the right place.