Author Topic: Tobias Bauchop married Janet Vanan  (Read 28826 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tobias Bauchop married Janet Vanan
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
That's right, Neil.  William, who married Elizabeth Bernard and then Janet Syme?  His eldest sister was Margaret (1802-1885), who married David Kirk  :)

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There were three places designated for burials very close to the house of Tobias Bauchop;  Greenside Cemetery,  Alloa Churchyard and Alloa Cemetery, which is adjacent to the Old Churchyard.  All are now closed for burials and have been for some considerable time.

It would appear there are Bauchops buried in Clackmannanshire but very few names are legible on the older headstones.   There are over 50 Bauchop registered deaths in this county from 1866 to 2013.

Tullibody Churchyard: (248) (I presume this is the lair) 1827 John Archibald; Margaret  Bauchop;  Coalkers;  (on back) plough.

Greenside Cemetery:  (45) John Glen Auctioneer, Alloa.   Died 21 Dec., 1877.  78yrs.Wife Margaret Bauchop died 13 Nov., 1879.  73yrs.  3rd Son William Bauchop died 27 Jul. 1906.  68yrs; 5thson. George Glen.   Distiller died Yoker Nolm, Yoker.  27 Dec. 1916.  74yrs.Clackmannan Churchyard: (221)

Clackmannan Churchyard: (83) 1827 William Bauchop, Eliz. Harrower.  3 Lairs.

Reiver and landji.  I think this is yours.

Clackmannan Churchyard:(221)
1825 Michael Penman,  Mary Bauchop.  3 Lairs.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 January 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Maddymoss, thanks for that information particularly about Michael Penman and Mary Bauchop.  I must admit I'm not sure of the references/dates.   Would 1825 be when the lair or lairs were bought?   Was 1821 the number in the churchyard of the lair or lairs bought?    Even more basically is a lair a grave? :)

As with Iandj I'm confident that Tobias and Janet Vanan are direct relatives - based on records.

As Monica suggested I've been looking at naming patterns.  It has proved interesting but not conclusive by any stretch of the imagination.
Tobias and Janet's children in  order (oldest to youngest) were John, Andrew, Margaret and  Tobias  (only four? :) ).  Two of the three possible Bauchop families (see earlier post from me) had a John as father - he who married Anna Mortimer and he who married Helen Henderson.   Janet's father was also John and she did not have any brothers called Andrew. Andrew however was the eldest son of the John B who married Helen Henerson.  Two in favour of John B and Helen Henderson?  So what about Margaret?   A daughter of John Vannan (Janet's father) was called Margaret. Finally James. James was the eldest son - again - of John V and Bessie Lin.

On that basis, the favourite for parents of Tobias are John B and Helen Henderson.  Case proved ????? ;)    Their Tobias was baptised in 1710 making him 36 when he married 15 year old Janet.

oh well .  .  .  .

Regards
Reiver

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Reiver,

I presume 1825 was when the lair/lairs were purchased. Your number 1821 is actually 221 and appears to be the lair number.

This information is contained in a small booklet entitled Clackmannanshire monumental inscriptions.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddymoss for the information.  I have the number as 221 but finger trouble I'm afraid.
Where can I obtain a copy of the booklet, please?  The Central Scotland FHS?

Reiver

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Reiver,

I purchased the booklet 'Clackmannanshire Monumental Inscriptions' from 'The Scottish Genealogy Society' website.

Cheers.   

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that  :)

I know now what I must do.

Regards
Reiver

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks from me too for your help and contributions, maddymoss.

As it happens, I'm in the Edinburgh area for several days from tomorrow so I will be looking in at the SGS centre.

Regards

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I assume you are aware that the Bauchop house is the oldest extant house in Alloa - it is a lovely old building.

For burial records, lairs purchases etc from 1866 to present, go to www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords.  This is fairly new online;you can also use wildcards there.
From a straight search on BAUCHOP, there are 11 records in early 20th century.

Perhaps a search on possible collateral lines may help?

Wishing you all success in your endeavours
alvagirl

Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE