Author Topic: Farrell of Rathcline  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
  • Quinn of Convoy and related families
    • View Profile
Farrell of Rathcline
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Luke Farrell of Lisnacush, Rathcline, Longford born around 1790 whose parents were Luke Farrell and Mary Carney married twice.

He firstly married Hannah Farrell from Turreen, their children were: Patrick; James; Mike; Ned; Tom; Bridget (Mrs Power) and a second daughter (Mrs Reynolds).

He secondly married Elizabeth Farrell a niece of his first wife (who died around 1877), their children were: Peter; Betty; Bernard; Luke and there were three other daughters (Mrs Mulphy) (Mrs Kane) (Mrs Kane).

Luke died on 4 May 1882.

Patrick son of Luke and Hannah married Bridget Farrell from Tureen and they settled in Tullyvrane just outside Lanesboro and their son (My father in Law) if he survives will be 100 years old in May.

Would be glad to hear of any information on the families of Luke
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrell of Rathcline
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been seeking information about a Luke Farrell from Tullyvrane. He is probably not the same Luke Farrell as yours, but may be related?
My grandfather, Michael Gill (born in Carrowdunican, County Longford in 1880) was the son of James and Catherine (Farrell) Gill. James died when Michael was a few months old and Catherine a couple of years later. I believe that Luke Farrell was the guardian for Michael and his sister after their parents died, and would like to determine how he was related to Catherine Farrell.
I know my Luke Farrell was a school teacher, and I have various records for Michael and his sister that mention Tullyvrane and Lanesboro. The 1901 and 1911 census shows Luke, his wife Anne and their family living in Tullyvrane. He died in 1918 at the age of 76.
Would you know if there is any relation between my Luke Farrell and your Farrells?
Regards
Auntie2014

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Farrell of Rathcline
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I am told that your Luke Farrell the schoolteacher was connected, and that he had some dispute with a Parish priest.
At this point I do not know the exact connection.
Do you know the name of his Father and Grandfather.
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Please wish your father in law an advanced Happy Birthday - wow 100 - two world wars and goodness knows what else he has seen in his lifetime - a might man !

Tara

Offline auntie2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Unfortunately, I don’t have any additional family info at this point.
I do have what I believe to be his Church Marriage Record, but the father’s name is listed as “Not Recorded Farrell”.
Best wishes to your father in law – he must have some wonderful stories to tell!
Thanks for your interest.
auntie 2014

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 February 14 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Have just spoken to my Father in Law. He is in no doubt that Luke Farrell the schoolteacher was connected but is unable to say how.
Perhaps Luke the schoolteacher was a third cousin to his Father, and might have been a second cousin, he was unable to name this Luke's Father.
Hopefully there is someone out there who might be able to add something.

Offline ialreadyam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
My first post!!!   It seems Magh Ithe, that we may be related.  I am confused though by the comment that your father-in-law is the son of Patt and Bridget Farrell of Tullyvrane.  Knowing how many names are recycled, let me see if we are talking about the same Patt and Brigid (my great grandparents). 

They had five children that I know of; my grandfather, Luke Farrell was born on Nov 22 1868.  He had siblings Mary -1857, Edward - 1861, Hannah - 1863, and Elizabeth-1865.  Who is your father-in law and is he from the same family of Farrell's?  I hope so, because you have some valuable information. ;D

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Edward Farrell R.I.P.

My Father in Law Edward Farrell passed away at 100 years of age on the 25th October last, he was called after his Grandfather Edward (Ned the Man) born 1861. That Edward was your Granduncle.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline ialreadyam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
You have  no idea how excited I am to meet you.  My mother, Rosanna Farrell was 1st cousin with your father-in-law.  Mom came to the US in 1928, and passed in 1979.  Her sister, my Aunt Daisy, had asked my sister and brother to make an effort to capture the family history.  All three of us are working on it   I currently have the beginnings of a family tree on Ancestry and also FamilySearch. 

I would love to share email etc with you , if you are willing.  Touch base soon.