Author Topic: Graves for Roberts corris  (Read 6159 times)

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
Graves for Roberts corris
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi just been to Corris  grave hunting !
Can anyone tell me the graves which are near the  old school house Corris .   When the landslide happened  think the 50's did any graves go with it ?   i was looking for the graves of Hugh Stephen Roberts 1854  and  Elizabeth Roberts 1859 born corris  he was the schoolmaster we searched and searched but just didnt find them .  any help would be great    thanks
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graves for Roberts corris
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, the gravestone to commemorate the death of their son is there.
Translated:-
In Loving Memory of Iorwerth E(dgar) Roberts, the son of H.S & E. Roberts, Council School who sacrificed his life at Mametz Wood and is buried at Flat Iron Copse, Bazentin, France 10 July 1916 aged 29.
Also a Walter Craddock who died 14 April 1884 aged 3 years.

Iorwerth Roberts's Military record is online on Ancestry.
On the CWG Commission site is the following:-

Son of Hugh Stephen and Elizabeth Roberts, of "Arwelfa," 3, Brynmair Terrace, Towyn-on-Sea, Merionethshire. Born at Corris, Merionethshire.

There is no grave in Rehoboth Cemetry, Corris or at the Parish Church at Talyllyn for his parents. The "Great Flood " was in 1922.
My guess with that address they would be buried at Tywyn Municipal Cemetery.

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The only death I can see that "fits" is at Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire 13 Jan. 1936 aged 82. The Will is on Ancestry.
There may be an Obit in the Pembrokeshire Newspapers at the NLW.
Another place in Corris he may be buried is the church, did you look there?

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 07:30 GMT (UK) »
This is I E Roberts's Obit in the Cambrian News with photo. Follow the link.

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/3413358/5

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou johnalwynjones  for the information you gave me it was interesting to read the newspaper obit for Iorweth .Yes we did find the grave with Iorwerth & walter .  (strange Walter was put on the headstone after Iorweth and Walter died first ) .       This is why we thought maybe Hugh stephen & Elizabeth Roberts were also there . He was the headmaster of the school and retired late 1921 just before the flood .  He died in 1936  Elizabeth 1931. We did look at the two other churches in Corris with no luck .  3, Brynmair Terrace Towyn- on -sea was where  Iorwerth was living or his parents .  thankyou once again
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
He is buried at Tywyn Municipal Cemetery
I've sent you a personal message for his Obituary.

Offline moo2moo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
A little off topic but my daughter is taking part in a local museum project researching the life of every soldier from the North Wales area who lost their lives during The Battle of the Somme.

Each student has been assigned a soldier to research,in her case this is L/Cpl I. E Roberts.

During the Somme Centenary she will be travelling to France to place a rememberance cross with a personal message on L/Cpl E. I. Roberts grave. We have been unable to locate any surviving family members locally. We would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point us in the direction of someone with any detailed information about his life as the students are putting together a document on the life of each soldier which will be handed over in France for future generations and visitors to the Somme to read.

Thank you very much for your time. I would have sent a direct message to magicnanny but as a new user I don't have that priviledge.

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello  Moo2moo
I have just seen you post this is my husbands side of his family he will collect up some info and post back to you soon.We have looked into the family  Iorwerth sadly did loose his life like so many brave soldiers  it would be lovely for someone to place a cross where Iorweth is remenbered at Flatiron copse cemetery Mametz  .   

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3413825/3413826/3/
He was engaged to be married when he died , to Elsie Williams

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4243502/4243505/33/

Here are some more results. Lots of info about his school days.  Such a sad loss. My own Gt Uncle also was in the RWF and went to Bangor University, who knows, they may have known each other.

http://newspapers.library.wales/search?range%5Bmin%5D=1916&range%5Bmax%5D=1919&query=%22iorwerth+e+roberts%22

http://newspapers.library.wales/search?range%5Bmin%5D=1804&range%5Bmax%5D=1919&query=%22iorwerth+edgar+roberts%22
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)