Author Topic: Mary Kemlo Cruickshank Gorrod (Hay connection)  (Read 12113 times)

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Kemlo Cruickshank Gorrod (Hay connection)
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am chasing the Hay family connection to Mary. She married James Hay Petrie in 1917 and had a son and daughter. My Australian Hay grandparents went to Scotland in the 60's and visited the son and daughter.
I am trying to find parents of James Hay Petrie- family remember mother as being Mary Hay and father as unknown Petrie.
My problem is hitting a brick-wall finding parents of Alexander Hay born circa 1810 who married Marjory Bruce in 1836. There is a family connection to Mary Kemlo Cruickshank Gorrod, but I cannot find it.
Any assistance is welcomed.

If I may ask a  second request: was it unusual to christen your daughter as "Marjory" then 3 years later in the 1841 census call her Jean, the 1851 census names her as Jane and she was married as Jane. Last question: Should I trust the ages given in the 1841 census? Alexander Hay and Marjory Bruce are listed as 30 years. Marjory should be 25 years according to instructions to lower age to closest 5 years. Neighbours in Love Lane have no age recorded.
Thanks
Gary
Hay, Aberdeen, Peterhead, Longside

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kemlo Cruickshank Gorrod (Hay connection)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 03:33 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Gary

Have you checked familysearch.org? I see that there are a few births

for Alexander Hay. Where in Aberdeenshire was he born?

Joy
Modified to add: Have you looked on scotlands people?
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 January 14 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy
Have checked familysearch.org but there are so many Alexander Hay's born around 1810= I think a very brave teenage soldier called Alexander Hay was killed in the Battle of Waterloo, causing an outbreak of new Alexander Hay's.
Gary

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

Where in Aberdeenshire was he born? Where is he in the 1841 Census? do you have him in

other census returns and what was his children's names? Sometimes children names can

give a clue. Sorry for all the questions...this has me intrigued ;D

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy
Where do I start!!

Alex Hay (senior, who I have hit the brick-wall with) married Marjory Bruce 29.10.1836 @ St Nicholas Aberdeen. They had Marjory (christened 5.10.1838 St Nicholas) and Alexander (christened 23.12.1840 St Nicholas).

The 1841 census shows Alex snr (mason) and Marjory ages both 30 and Jean age 5, Alex 5m and George aged 10. resident at Love Lane Spittal. (Marjory jnr seems to have used the name Jane for 1851 census and her marriage in 1860. The census address is actually Red Lion Inn and is where Jane was married. The 10 year old George may have been son of possible previous marriage to Grace Farquhar.

Soon after the census, Alex snr died and Marjory married James Ross, seaman mate, on 28,5,1846 at Old Machar. Marjory and James Ross had 2 daughters and according to Aberdeen Post records were spirit dealers for many years at that address.

My unknowns are who were parents of Alex snr and when did he die?

Gary
ps In your interests you mention Glenn Innis NSW. If you are a local you may know Matt, my son-in-law, son of Mal and Merry ex "Rangers Valley"

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 January 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

I can only find 3 deaths for an Alexander Hay in Aberdeen.

1 Alexander Hay died 2 Aug 1844 92 Sheprow merchant 52 yrs Apoplexy

2       "         "     "     9 Feb 1848 Spittal 72 yrs - no occupation or cause of death

3     "           "     "     15 Feb 1848 Water St or c/be Hater St - no occupation or cause of death

Any help??

Joy
PS My Dad's family all came from G/Innes, settled there from about the late 1840's.

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 14 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy
The Aberdeen Post records show both my Alexander and the 92 Shiprow, merchant in the 1841-42, 42-43 and 43-44 editions. My Alexander is replaced by Mrs Alex Hay in the 1844-45 edition. The other Alexander is replaced by Mrs Alex Hay in the 1845-46 edition.
The record was printed for July each year so my Alexander died prior to July 1844 and the other Alexander death 2 Aug 1844 accords with the postal records.
Thanks
Gary

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 January 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the 1917 marriage certificate should show the names of James Petrie's parents. Have you viewed it?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 06:35 GMT (UK) »
No I have not.
Thanks for the advice.
Gary